Anyone a fan of progressive metal? Dream Theater, Angra, Meshuggah, Cynic, Adagio, Planet X, Aghora, Spiral Architect....There's a lot of good ones out there.

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm.. Depends.. Sometimes. I enjoy Arcturus, Opeth, Devin Townsend, Ihsahn, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Stolen Babies, Unexpect, Illnath, Adagio.. Porcupine Tree are a bit too soft to my tastes, no real rough edges, but they're pretty good, too.

Meh, it's such a shame Arcturus quit..
I love Dream Theater, ever since I heard them in 1993. I've also gotten into Symphony X and Orphaned Land over the past few years. I like a lot of different kinds of music but progressive metal is definitely a favorite.
Poland's Riverside is a favorite of mine that no one's mentioned yet. Porcupine Tree has flirted with metal since at least since In Absentia (h/t Methis). Symphony X I love.

A new one I've been listening to that's along the lines of mid-period Opeth is Barren Earth:

I think prog metal is the best example of modern metal we have. I miss extreme metal bands like Death and Atheist.
In terms of new subgenres, yes.. But there's a lot of existing (extreme) subgenres (and bands) that have evolved significantly into new and interesting things. In subs like black metal, this is sometimes frowned upon on account of it not being "trve", but in the end that makes little difference. In a sense, it could also be called progressive metal, as it has progressed, but from that perspective, everything's "prog"...
I still think there's extreme bands a plenty, really. Though perhaps not thrash, but I don't really care for thrash, so I wouldn't really know.
Love progressive branches of many genres especially progressive rock of the 1970s. Love Pink Floyd, Yes, early Genesis, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, King Crimson etc.
As for prog metal...well I love Dream Theater, Procupine Tree (saw these two recently in Sydney)Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, Dillinger Escape Plan (i consider Mathcore to be a form of prog metal)and Coheed and Cambria (perhaps not purely metal but i have included them anyway!
Look at my first post I listed Cynic. I think they are indeed metal just listen to Focus their first album it is heavier than the new one they put it.
Hello ..
yes , I am very fond of progressive metal
Opeth ; Dream theater and Riverside are some of my favorites
:D in addition of some other great bands ..
my favorite song for Opeth would be "Masters apprentices"
Dream theater : "Dance of eternity"
and Riverside : "Lef out"

cheers
Great track from awesome bands. Should check out Angra sick band as well.
Never heard of either of those bands. I'll be sure to check them out.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service