thought I would make a topic about our favorite musicians on a specific instrument. Can be metal or not.

guitar: jason becker, shawn lane as far as instrumentalists go. Muhammad from necrophagist is great the guitarist from kalmah is good as well.

Drums: Flo mounier is good but I do not like cryptopsy too much I wish they would get a decent vocalist there music is great though. Derek Roddy, George Kollias, inferno from behemoth.

bass I cannot comment on much, the necrophagist bassist is amazing as well as the bassist from exodus

Views: 147

Replies to This Discussion

Vocals (Clean): Maynard James Keenan (Tool) He gives dignity to human emotions. A truly powerful singer, I can't imagine anyone else singing for Tool.
Vocals (Growl): Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) She is amazing. She has superb control over tone, pitch, and texture. Depth of skill allows songs to have more inflection when compared to most other DM bands.
Guitar: Michael Amott (Arch Enemy/Carcass) He is a solid player, but where he really shines is his ability to write songs. He is able to combine crunchy riffs, chugging rhthms, and soaring solos
Bass: Shavo Odadjian (System of a Down) He is the epitome of bassists. He is solid, dependable, and can carry the melody when needed. Also: He is a great live performer.
Drums: Danny Carry (Tool) He is simply the greatest drummer alive. Better than Portnoy even. To understand why, just watch him play Lateralus. Truly a thing of beauty.
Vocals (clean): Roy Khan (Kamelot), Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth), Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Mikko Kotamaki (Swallow the Sun)
Vocals (growling): Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath), Tokiko Shimamoto (Shadow), Mikko Kotamaki (Swallow the Sun)
Guitars: Ville Friman and Ville Vänni (Insomnium), Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath), Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom), Thomas Youngblood (Kamelot)
Bass: Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Jo-Anne Bench (Bolt Thrower)
Drums: Inferno, aka Zbigniew Robert Prominski (Behemoth)
Keyboards: Miro, aka Michael Rodenberg (ex-Kamelot), Stian Aarstad (ex-Dimmu Borgir, Enthral)

As someone else said, this can all change as I get to hear more bands and more talented musicians. I don't only base these musicians because of their skill as composers/performers, but also how much their music can speak to me. There is of course an inherent bias. I cannot and will not mention talented musicians whose music I don't like.
Clean Vocals - Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickinson
Growling/Shreiking Vocals - Varg Vikernes, Tom Araya,
Versitle Vocals - Phil Alsemo
Riff Guitars - Dave Mustaine, Tommy Iommi, Kerry King
Speed/Shred Guitars - Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen
Overall Guitar - Joe Satriani, Alexi Laiho, Dimebag Darrell
Drums - Gene Hoglan, Gar Samuelsson, pretty much almost all of Death Metal, really.
Mark Morton(Lamb of God), Peter Wichers(Soilwork), Dimebag, and Galder(Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child) are all amazing guitar players and more importantly are in my opinion some of the best at structuring songs.

Drummers: Chris Adler-all around solid drummer, Dave Lombardo-drumming on crack, Nicholas Barker-sold his soul to play so fast

Bass:Rob formerly of Suicidal Tendencies and now in metallica, Steve digorgio, and Flea- I know the red hot chili peppers aren't metal but to deny he's a great bass player is blasphemy to musicianship.

Growling/screaming/yelling etc: Randy Blythe, Glen Benton, Tom Araya, Max Cavalera

Unique vocals: Devin Townsend, Oderus of Gwar, Jeffrey Nothng of Mushroomhead, Anders of In Flames

Real Singers: Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Peter Steele of Type on Negative, Don't know his name but the singer for Iced Earth

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service