r While I do believe in a two state solution as the most practical way of resolving the conflict, there have been many people in the past who supported the idea of a single, bi-national state. These included Judah Magnes, founder and first president of the Hebrew University, and philosopher Martin Buber. Even in the right of Israeli politics, such views were advocated in some form or other by Zeev Jabotinsky, founder of Revisionist Zionism, whose leading disciple was Menachem Begin. Jabotinsky called for a presidential system with a Jewish president and an Arab Vice President. More recently, one of the most outspoken advocates of a solution like that is Rabbi Menachem Fruman of the West Bank settlement of Tekoa. He has been negotiating privately with Hamas leaders for a single state with both communities maintaining their cultural/religious independence, but sharing such things as infrastructure and land rights. Okay, he is exceptional. He also participates regularly in Sufi zikrs, but he is quite a remarkable figure. See for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOKlTPvE4I

So I wonder, is the two state solution an ideal solution or could it lead to something else that transcends national differences?

Tags: Judah Magnes, Martin Buber, Menachem Fruman, One-state solution, Two state solution

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

As an atheist and a staunch liberal, my preferred solution would be a single state where religion and ethnicity play no more than a very minor role. In today's reality however, I can't see that happening. There is too much mistrust on both sides, to put it mildly. Basically I agree with you that a two-state solution is "the most practical way of resolving the conflict". Perhaps this could be stepping stone for a more ideal long-term solution.
I actually like a one state solution more, anyhow, two state or one, I think the point is in social change, if we create two enemy states that wouldn't be helpful at all. A one state solution compels the need for that kind of change while a two state solution is like profen pills, it makes people think that they can live aside fomr the "other". I guess a two state solution also could be a start...
As long as the cultural differences and animosity between the people that currently form the state of Israel remain as they are now a single state is simply not a solution. I too think that a two state solution would be a good start although I do not see it as the best solution possible you'll have to start somewhere.
Something else that transcends national differences? I'd like to see that, but I believe it's a pipe dream. I don't think there was more resentment between Czechs and Slovaks than there is between Israelis and Palestinians, and they decided to part ways nonetheless. See what's happening in Belgium now. Or in Spain, where there are strong Catalan and Basque independentist movements. Even Switzerland is not immune to centrifugal forces. And keep in mind these four examples are peaceful, 'civilized' countries.

And while we're at it, see what happened to Pakistan. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a two state solution, with a fragmented Palestinian state, evolves into a three state reality. People are way more easily divided than united. That's part of human nature.
Thats why i'm not so sure about the two state solution, its a lot like when kids fight together and the mom comes and makes them stay in two different room, we have to get over war before spreading parts. Any solution would only work if the root is solved, one or two states, social change is more important.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Randall Smith commented on Calla's group Nexus Book Club
3 minutes ago
Pat replied to Adam's discussion Political Ideology
5 minutes ago
Maria Vali posted photos
22 minutes ago
Andrew Bradford Hoke posted a status
"My blog on PASTAHCON 2014"
40 minutes ago
Kambiz Nadri posted photos
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Camo cats in the group Atheist Ailurophiles
2 hours ago
Kambiz Nadri commented on Kambiz Nadri's blog post Marrying young girls in Islam.
2 hours ago
Kambiz Nadri commented on Kambiz Nadri's blog post Marrying young girls in Islam.
2 hours ago
Plinius commented on Calla's group Nexus Book Club
5 hours ago
Plinius commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
6 hours ago
Patricia replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
6 hours ago
Deidre32 replied to Deidre32's discussion Happy Labor Day!
6 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service