i've been getting several Birther emails from my Mother and her husband over the past several weeks.  i fear that he is turning her into one as well.  she even voted for Obama in '08.  i've wondered just how deeply rooted it is for him, and, well, i think i just found out:

"The hope from the Administration is that there will eventually be anarchy where the dollar is worthless, houses are devalued and they can force all aspects of the American society into the streets.  BTW, do you own a gun?:) happy"
this was in response to my response to an email "proving" that Obama is a marxist.  i respectfully disagreed with many of his assertations, but i can't say i expected THIS. 
i've already been arguing with my Mother over the contraception issue, and now i'm arguing with them both over Obama.  as some of you know i spent some time on some Right Wing blog yesterday arguing with these Birther lunatics, and i can honestly admit that i wish i hadn't (Loren, you were right).  they are essentially a sub-species of Homo Erectus (as i pointed out in the comments, likely as a result of large jaw muscles needed to ingest mass quantities of beef jerkey, limiting the growth potential of the skull plates and restricting brain growth) and i regret my time interacting with them. 
it's starting to get ugly, just in time for me to be staying at their house in suburban DC this weekend for the Reason Rally.  should i just get a hotel?

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

that's about as good of a theory as i can imagine. 

I can't deal with birthers and bigots.   I wold get a motel room.  I'd out to lunch with mom.  Tell her that I love her, but to keep the peace I don't want to get into any arguments with step-dad.  Sad that intolerance would divide a family, but it wouldn't be the first time.  To keep the peace with my family, I stayed on neutral topics for decades.  It was hard, but you only live once.  At least for me, I didn't want to live knowing that I drove a wedge between myself and my parents in their aging years.  It makes me sad that they died without being able to share some of who I am, but I feel good that I took care of them.   I did much more for them than I ever told them, or that they ever knew.

By all means, if you have the money, find a group of like-minded people and hang out with them over coffee, food, chat time. You will learn far more from those experiences than either not expressing yourself to your family, or expressing yourself and then having to build up barriers of protection. The really rich part of these gatherings is the interaction with people who struggle with basic changes of values taking place. It happened to me in the Civil Rights movement, and can happen with you in this very important transition period. It is not just that you and a few other people are making basic changes, our entire culture is changing, conflicts rise, heat and energy becomes more intense, and out of that chaos comes a new paradigm shift. Unless it becomes a riot ... that is a different story. 

honestly, i'm hoping to crash downtown with some nice people, or a willing female :), at a hotel Saturday.  i'm heading down to Mom's this afternoon, and hopefully i don't wake up Saturday morning tied to my bed. 

Being tied to a bed, especially by a willing female, can be quite enjoyable. Don't knock it until you've tried it :)

Lol, I think you misunderstood. I'm fine being tied up by a willing female (done that!), its my step father I'm worried about.

Just be careful.  I've heard about the kidney thieves  :-)

Oh! Matthew, getting tied to a bed might happen with a "willing female" as well. Be careful!

Ugh. You are as likely to change their minds as they are to change yours.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service