What books do you Atheists worship? (I need suggestions here. Selfish person coming through!)

Name favorite titles, even if they aren't really Atheist books. Read a great book on Evolution? A book that explains the science of homosexuality? A picture book of undersea creatures? A biography of Penn? A cookbook that includes flying spaghetti monster supreme? Or a beautiful fiction about Princess Sprinkles in the enchanted forest?

Okay, so I went overboard with the suggestions, but lets go for variety and the reasons you love them. Personally, I'd especially be interested in religious/psychology stuff. ...And maybe a picture book.

To start off, I really love The Scarlet Letter. ...Everyone else in my class hated it. Interestingly, even though it's fiction, it still offers a lot of information and combats Puritan ideals... a great perspective and beautiful story to boot.

Tags: atheist, books, moocow

Views: 1179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was at a friends ranch for several days and really needed something to read but the only book in the house was The Red Tent. I was suprised that it was such a good read.
I can't figure out the intensity of the criticism of this topic. It's just asking what books people really really like! What is the harm in that, for dog's sake? If someone doesn't like the topic, they can ignore it!

Jezzy, on the other hand, as someone who shares the name, "Daniel" refers to "God's judge". Go figure. If you want to use the word "worship" with books (or cats, or tomatoes), then that's fine, most people know damn well you are not on your knees with rosary in front of your Dawkins' masterpiece.

My favorite all-time book is "Off for the Sweet Hereafter" by T.R. Pearson. This book is so painfully funny and so cheerfully sad that I want to laugh and cry when reading it. As noted & quoted in wikipedia, the first sentence is over 400 words long, and I can almost hear the characters talking in that rambling style. The wikipedia article includes great quote, "Lemly had no industry whatsoever and little agriculture to speak of unless mildew counted for something."

This is an older book now, in the tradition of the great US Authors of the old south. The author is respectful, dare-I-say worshipful, of the inherent dignity of the undignified, the inherent worth of the worthless, and the inherent beauty of the homely.
Well, it's not a book, but Monty Python's The Life of Brian provides the most concise and easily digestible path to atheism by perfectly capturing the loony essence of Christianity. It's very difficult to take Protestantism vs Catholicism or Sunni vs Shia seriously when all I can think of is "Follow the gourd!" "No! Follow the shoe!"
I worship Monty Python.
As do I. As deities. Clearly, only a group of gods such as these could have designed such a deranged universe as ours. And BBC TV was their prophet. Are we not all merely parrots, pining for the fjords and shuffling off this mortal coil?
My favourite atheist boom is "The Gospel according to Jesus" of Jose Saramago ,Literature Nobel Prize 1998.Condemned by the Portuguese Catholic Church.It made me laugh to death.
The 33 Strategies of War and the 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
"If angels would exist,God only with angels would solve everything"Jose Saramago"The Gospel according to Jesus,Nobel Prize of Literature 1998.
"What kind of God is this that creates sick children and poisonus cactus?"another quote.
"Jesus asked God:why do you give power and glory?-God answered:because later will come wars called the Cruzades-The Devil said then-ok ,lets make peace now and no wars would be neccesary.God said:no, History has to follow its course.The Devil said: I want to make sure I did tempt God"another paragrah of "The Gospel according to Jesus in which Jesus is just a human being influenced by forces of good and evil,but in satire.
Jaime -
You convinced me, I have to read this book! Damn! I don't have enough time to read the toilet paper label, let alone another book! You are a cruel man!
Now off to the Amazon web page to place the order.
"The Anti-Christ"by friedrich Nietzche,german philosopher 1985,epigon of Schopenhauer,which because of his book "And thus spoke Zaratustrah", and his concept of superman, he was considered by some the ideologue of nazism but he had a jewish girlfriend and only his friend Wagner was anti-semitic.Also his book "the darkening of the idols" in which he explains the consecuences of "the death of the old God" and predicts Europe future.Some of his pupils were Sigmund Freud and Max Weber that creates psichoanalysis and sociology respectively.Nietzsche is the greatest atheist of all times.From Lima ;Peru,Jaime Paredes
Instead of "sacred texts" (we are not theists, are we?) I would prefer "dear";
I would suggest Carl Sagan's Contact;
There is also a speech " Why I am not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell;
http://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/whynot.html

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service