What books do you Atheists worship? (I need suggestions here. Selfish person coming through!)

Name favorite titles, even if they aren't really Atheist books. Read a great book on Evolution? A book that explains the science of homosexuality? A picture book of undersea creatures? A biography of Penn? A cookbook that includes flying spaghetti monster supreme? Or a beautiful fiction about Princess Sprinkles in the enchanted forest?

Okay, so I went overboard with the suggestions, but lets go for variety and the reasons you love them. Personally, I'd especially be interested in religious/psychology stuff. ...And maybe a picture book.

To start off, I really love The Scarlet Letter. ...Everyone else in my class hated it. Interestingly, even though it's fiction, it still offers a lot of information and combats Puritan ideals... a great perspective and beautiful story to boot.

Tags: atheist, books, moocow

Views: 1220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, in reference to your Princess Sparkles in the enchanted forest... The Clash of Kings novels by George R. R. Martin are by far my favorite. I also really like Dragonsong and Drangonsinger by Anne McCaffrey.

My favorite psychology book is Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns. His explanations of the 10 cognitive distortions is very interesting.

I know that these last suggestions are going to seem odd, but I really liked Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series. I view Christianity as a myth and these books just gave a new way to look at it.

I know that your list is very long at this point, but I hope you enjoy all of the suggestions by everyone.
"Intermittences about death"of Portuguese writer Jose Saramago,a Literature Nobel Prize 1998,who at 97 years old laughs at death in this book:"one day,in a European country ,death did not happened any more.People were very happy at first,but later they noticed that, in living ,there are worse things than death,like eternal agonies,madness etc,so they decided to carry their sick people to other countries,so they could die".There is a biological law that scientist Francois Jacob,Biology Nobel Prize 1993, states "for life to exist,death has to happen,if there is life,there is death,if there is joy,there is sadness,one thing cannot occur without the other".This means,of course that there is no thing such as an afterlife.German philosopher Schopenhauer said "after death,there is nothing,absolutedly nothing".
Actually there are several scriptures, in the traditional sense, that are intelectually very satisfying for atheists. I can think of

. The Heart Sutra (Buddhist, a contemplation on emptiness)
. The Meta Sutta (Buddhist, a contemplation on compassion)
. Ecclesiastes (from the Bible, the authors were agnostic)

In fact, Ecclesiastes speaks of how it is 'vanity of vanities' to be ostentatious about knowledge that we don't have, particularly regarding the afterlife, about how we should live in the present moment and enjoy life, and other very lucid ideas that could be labeled agnostic or atheistic.
This is not a sacred text, it's a popular song, but I think the lyrics deserve to be considered sacred text. In fact, they're very moving.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

- John Lennon
This is clearly describing a godless, tryrannical NWO superstate. ;-)
Still sound good to me.

Rather be a dreamer than engage in unfair and unwise killlings as we have been since Bush started fighting in the wrong country.
Lennon left so much undone but this one is one of my favorite and the lyrics are on a mural at the public school down from my street (minus the god line) on Ft Hamilton Pkwy
Learned Optimism, by Martin E P Seligman, shows a great way to face the future, first recommended to me by the Church of Spiritual Humanism, after 9/11/01. Losing my brother and seeing my city wrecked almost made me give up my Humanism but the book helped restore my respect for human nature and working towards our best selves.

Atheists can't lookout side themselves for anything that they don't already have inside.

Eileen
Hagakure
" The Story of philosophy"
There are two books I hold in high esteem, near enough to worship. They are Dune by Frank Herbert and Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I find both of them entertaining and informative. They are especially relevant when considering politics.
I mostly read fiction and fantasy, so i was gonna say Dune<3 like Joseph said, and i like the Eragon books, some of Tom Clancy's work and a bunch of other stuff i don't feel like typing/remembering.

oh and some of my female friends said that "You Slay Me" was a good book but that it wasnt fitting for guys, i tend to agree that it doesnt fit for guys since i actually read the first book, but that shouldn't be a problem for you now should it... i also didnt quite like the writing style of the author but that's my opinion. :D

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service