What books do you Atheists worship? (I need suggestions here. Selfish person coming through!)

Name favorite titles, even if they aren't really Atheist books. Read a great book on Evolution? A book that explains the science of homosexuality? A picture book of undersea creatures? A biography of Penn? A cookbook that includes flying spaghetti monster supreme? Or a beautiful fiction about Princess Sprinkles in the enchanted forest?

Okay, so I went overboard with the suggestions, but lets go for variety and the reasons you love them. Personally, I'd especially be interested in religious/psychology stuff. ...And maybe a picture book.

To start off, I really love The Scarlet Letter. ...Everyone else in my class hated it. Interestingly, even though it's fiction, it still offers a lot of information and combats Puritan ideals... a great perspective and beautiful story to boot.

Tags: atheist, books, moocow

Views: 1216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, if you want a good story, you can't beat the Odyssey.  Also, Penn Jillette's "God, No" is pretty good.

Has To Kill A Mockingbird been mentioned?
Also, The Universe in a Nutshell. :)

In don't worship books. 

I love, The Life of Pi
I've not seen the film yet but the book is amazing.

What books do atheists worship? I simple cannot answer that question. While there are many good books, what I do know is that the gullible claim that "we all worship something" and they add that information into the mass of bad ideas they use to prove their god, and that he is worthy of worship. You worship your wife, your car, your money, television, Elvis, etc. I totally disagree! Then Dylan had a song claiming that we all "serve somebody." I think the idea here is that you gotta serve God. Again, I disagree! This entire mess is like saying we all eat, or that we all pooh. So what. How can you use that crap in a legitimate religious way?

I'm probably going to regret this, but . . . the meaning of a word depends largely on context, and most English words have multiple meanings, which makes equivocation a particularly insidious tactic in argument while befuddling many believers.  I took "worship" in a religious sense because the OP said "you atheists," implying that she is not one.  I didn't take it very seriously, though.  I have a lot of fundamentalist students, and they often say "theory" when they mean "hypothesis" or "guess."  "It's just a theory," they say.  I take pains to explain that "theory" in general conversation has one meaning and in science it has another.  Another example is "faith;" as in "you have faith the sun will rise tomorrow."  "Evolution" only means change, as in "my view on gay rights is evolving," or "Corvettes have really evolved since 1957," rather than "descent with modification" or "biological change through natural selection."  Equivocation, using a word in two different senses in an argument, is a logical fallacy that many people can't spot.  I try not to use words that give the other side an opening to start the doubletalk.  Will it make any difference?  Probably not.

The Scarlet Letter is a wonderful symbolic novel that resonates with multiple meanings.  Nathaniel Hawthorne's ancestors were Puritans, with his grandfather, John Hathorne, serving as a judge at the Salem witch trials in 1692, and Hawthorne chafed against Puritan disapproval of story telling.  Hawthorne's Puritans focus on man's sinful nature so intently that they ignore all the beauties of the human spirit.  It's also a love story, which most readers miss, but Hester waits seven years for Dimmesdale to run away with her, then returns years later so she can be buried next to him.

Try The Great Gatsby.

"What books do you atheists worship?" Why would people or any persuasion worship a book, and who are "you atheists?" Sounds like you are getting some data together for a study. It also sounds like you are not an atheist.

Please explain to me also what you mean by "a book that explains the science of homosexuality." I never knew that homosexuality was a science. WTF? Jez, Jezzy. I'm really lost here.

Hi Jezzy,  I put this list together for you and then discovered that you sent your message in 2009.  Oh well, here it is.  When you finish with these books let me know and I will send you another list. 

Saint Mark                                     D. E. Nineham

Saint Luke                                      G.B Caird

Saint Matthew                               J.C. Fenton

The Spiders House                        Paul Bowles

The God Delusion                       Richard Dawkins

The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (5 Volume Set) Keith R. Crim &George A. Buttrick

The History of the Church                  Eusebius

The Early Church                            Henry Chadwick

The Passover Plot                               Hugh J. Schonfield

Infidel                                               Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Murder in Amsterdam : The Death of Theo Van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance    Ian Buruma

The Histories                                       Tacitus

The Histories                                       Herodotus

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything      Christopher Hitchens

Salamander: The Story of the Mormon Forgery Murders      Linda Sillitoe and Allen Roberts

Under the Banner of Heaven                                        Jon Krakauer

Constantine's Bible                                                   David L. Dungan

The Holy Qur'an with English Translation     Maulana Muhammad Ali

A World Lit Only by Fire                                       William Manchester

Crimes Against Humanity                                      Geoffrey Robertson

Scientology                                                                  L. Ron Hubbard

Josephus and the New Testament                               Steve Mason

The Bible as History                                                   Werner Keller

In Search of Historical Jesus                                           Lee Roddy

The Life and Times of Constantine the Great by        D. G. Kousoulas

When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity during the Last Days of Rome by        Richard E. Rubenstein

Church of Lies                                                           Flora Jessop

Interesting list.  I saved it, and will check-out some of them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service