What books do you Atheists worship? (I need suggestions here. Selfish person coming through!)

Name favorite titles, even if they aren't really Atheist books. Read a great book on Evolution? A book that explains the science of homosexuality? A picture book of undersea creatures? A biography of Penn? A cookbook that includes flying spaghetti monster supreme? Or a beautiful fiction about Princess Sprinkles in the enchanted forest?

Okay, so I went overboard with the suggestions, but lets go for variety and the reasons you love them. Personally, I'd especially be interested in religious/psychology stuff. ...And maybe a picture book.

To start off, I really love The Scarlet Letter. ...Everyone else in my class hated it. Interestingly, even though it's fiction, it still offers a lot of information and combats Puritan ideals... a great perspective and beautiful story to boot.

Tags: atheist, books, moocow

Views: 1256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Silmarillion. More plausible and coherent than the xtian bible.

:-D :-P

I've read the bible, cover to cover, it does help me argue but the only reason I got through it was because I was christian back then.

Moving on to good books (excuse the pun), anything by Adams, Pratchett or Dawkins.

There is a book you can say I worship called Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, it's a novel which explains the philosify of objectivism (which is turn is a non-religious (i.e. based on logic and reason) moral system), to give you an idea of what objectivism is about, Ayn Rand also wrote "the virtue of selfishness".

Zecharia Sitchin's "Genesis Revisited" is a very interesting analysis of the Sumerian History of the origins of what became the Torah, a.k.a. The Old Testament...

Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is an amazing overall look at the redundant impropriety of the Universe.

Roger Zelazny's "Amber Chronicles" (Which starts with "9 Princes in Amber") takes a look at how the world we know is a "Shadow" imitation and reflection of the TRUE world called Amber.

I prefer the Principia Discordia, subtitled How I found Goddess and what I did to Her when I Found her.

My wife and I based our wedding on the book. Fortunately, where we married (Colorado), that is allowed.

Both the Hitchhiker's trilogy and the Dirk Gently books (all by Douglas Adams)

Even Google knows...

There are no such things as sacred texts.

That's the joke. :) I think if you're on this site you probably know that.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, all of Bart Ehrman's books, God is not great By Christopher Hitchens, George R. R. Martin's books, Carl Sagan's A Demon Haunted World just to name a very very few.

All good ones!

The audio book version of Darwin's "On Origin of Species" is narrated by Dawkins, and is a fascinating kick to the head.

Leaving out the words sacred and worship, two of my favorites are "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service