What books do you Atheists worship? (I need suggestions here. Selfish person coming through!)

Name favorite titles, even if they aren't really Atheist books. Read a great book on Evolution? A book that explains the science of homosexuality? A picture book of undersea creatures? A biography of Penn? A cookbook that includes flying spaghetti monster supreme? Or a beautiful fiction about Princess Sprinkles in the enchanted forest?

Okay, so I went overboard with the suggestions, but lets go for variety and the reasons you love them. Personally, I'd especially be interested in religious/psychology stuff. ...And maybe a picture book.

To start off, I really love The Scarlet Letter. ...Everyone else in my class hated it. Interestingly, even though it's fiction, it still offers a lot of information and combats Puritan ideals... a great perspective and beautiful story to boot.

Tags: atheist, books, moocow

Views: 1204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan Barker, "Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists."  He's co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation now.
An atheist book which no-one else seems to have mentioned here is 'All In The Mind : A Farewell to God' by the Scottish writer Ludovic Kennedy (1999).
Anything by Vonnegut

First off, I just love Dawkins.  My favorite two are "The God Delusion" and  "The Greatest Show On Earth" (evolution).  He really is a gifted writer.  If I could make one suggestion though, listen to a couple of his speeches first.  You can find them for free on both youtube  and Itunes.  He is a marvelous speaker and writes the way he talks and now whenever I read him I hear it in his voice and, for myself anyway, it enhances the  experience. In fact if you are a new atheist "The God Delusion ought to be required reading along with "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris.

If you have never read anything by Bertrand Russell I strongly recommend it.  Try starting with a collection of his essays and speeches.  I needed smallish doses before I really got into him.  "Why I Am Not A Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects" is a good collection to start out with.

I like the "new" collection by A.C. Grayling called "The Good Book".  There is a variety of authors he put together, I just finished reading Herodotus.  I learned a lot from Dawkins' "The Greatest Show on Earth".  "The Agent of Chaos" is a book I read in 8th grade, and re-read now and then.

Atheists don't "worship" books, we take them with a grain of salt.

I am very much with you on this one Ruth.  However I do hold some books in high regard.  If we were to "worship" any book, it would almost certainly make it a dogma and reduce out thoughts to the repetition of catechism. 

I believe that this more than anything turned "Marxism" into a dogma and failure.  Discussing anything with a dedicated Marxist was, more often that not, an argument about sacred texts. 

Wouldn't say worship since it implies reverence without thought. For me the following texts are significant:

Dan Barker - Losing Faith in Faith (this was instrumental in completing my deconversion more so than any of Dawkins books)

Thomas Paine - The Age of Reason

Bart Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus

Richard Dawkins - The Blind Watchmaker (explains evolution really well and explains how life can form without divine interference, but I doubt a Christian would find it convincing enough to leave their faith)

I like these two books because they poke hundreds of holes in the Christian dogma.

"Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman, The story behind who changed the bible and why.

"God's Problem" also by Bart Ehrman, How the Bible fails to answer our most important question - Why we suffer.

Mr Ehrman has a very impressive background.  It wasn't easy for him to give up his religious upbringing.

Also would like to recommend the movie "Religulous" by Bill Maher

Atheists don't worship ne kinda books

Hoot mon, ye are correct.

I actually like reading the Bible to drive a wedge in the teachings of Christianity. One needs to know as much or more than a Christian funny-mental if one is to debate and argue effectively. study the book of Jeremiah. The Prophet of the Old Testament did not believe the law was given to Moses. He said so in several places and his writings prove the Christian assumption of Jesus as a perfect sacrifice is a false belief. Jeremiah wrote that god did not give the Jew the law of sacrifice for the atonement of sins, which is what the Christians claim made Jesus a perfect sacrifice for the atonement of our sins. Even the prophet Hosea claimed god 'desired mercy and not sacrifice.'

The other book I like to read is Farewell to God by Charles Templeton, the other half of the Billy Graham Crusades, who left the ministry as an agnostic until his death.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service