What books do you Atheists worship? (I need suggestions here. Selfish person coming through!)

Name favorite titles, even if they aren't really Atheist books. Read a great book on Evolution? A book that explains the science of homosexuality? A picture book of undersea creatures? A biography of Penn? A cookbook that includes flying spaghetti monster supreme? Or a beautiful fiction about Princess Sprinkles in the enchanted forest?

Okay, so I went overboard with the suggestions, but lets go for variety and the reasons you love them. Personally, I'd especially be interested in religious/psychology stuff. ...And maybe a picture book.

To start off, I really love The Scarlet Letter. ...Everyone else in my class hated it. Interestingly, even though it's fiction, it still offers a lot of information and combats Puritan ideals... a great perspective and beautiful story to boot.

Tags: atheist, books, moocow

Views: 1258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Voltaire's Candide is my all time favorite.  So, so funny.
Well since to me the reading of large books without being able to have inquisitive give and take conversations with the author feels a whole lot like the focusing of attention I associate with worship, and I being atheist I try not to slip into worshipful habits.....I decided to compile my own collection of "sacred" texts. I call it "self-canonization" and I try to promote the practice as a method of philosophical self-criticism and self-guided religious instruction. I suggest getting into a text based conversation or debate since expressing the ideas you have is equally as important as trying to understand other people's ideas. Most books are crappy. I do think it's a good idea to solicit recommendations for reading material but the recommendations should come from people who know you a whole lot better than just that you happen to be atheist.
"Catch-22," "King Lear"
Jesus cries when you touch yourself
Jesus cries when you touch yourself
I rather enjoy Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and Job: A Comedy of Justice, for the shellacking that religion takes in both of them, and particularly the second.
My favorites are the Old Testament (Tanakh), the Iliad, and the Odyssey.
Jillian Venters "Gothic Charm School", is one that I really like.  I could list more.
If it's fiction you want, then I recommend Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet".  Most of this Sherlock Holmes classic is a flash-back to early Utah and encounters with the mormons.  It's pretty scary really, and is not hart to see how the mormons got to where they are today.  This short novel has been banned in several grade schools in the south east.

The orangey-red Betty Crocker cookbook.  I think it was from the late 60's or early 70's.  It had the BEST recipes (I made my first yeast doughnuts using it, as well as cinnamonbread and Stollenbread).

Oh and Euclid's "Elements" and Alexander Key's "the Forgotten Door".

Definitely Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I don't know about others. I can't pin point one non-fiction book that i would call sacred per say. The're a lot of good non-religious, non-fiction books. Though I can't name the God Delusion as one of them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service