You know how the religious always pray for victims of natural disasters...

Today there was a massive & devastating earthquake in the capital city of Haiti, Port-Au-Prince. While visiting a news site for information I noticed many of the comments were along the lines of pray for the victims. This being an utterly useless & stupid action, I wondered why there are not more comments along the lines of send aid or donate to the Red Cross.

So I thought that along with leaving at least one of those types of comments I would appeal to other rational people to send aid, donate to aid organizations, or go in person to help if they are able & skilled. I sent what I could & I encourage everyone else to do the same. I would especially encourage those who are members of Atheist/Agnostic organizations to get their groups to donate, organize fundraisers or food & blanket drives. At least one group of people will be doing more than muttering a few words & patting themselves on the back for it.

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teach a man to fish and he will spend all day in a boat drinking beer.
I'll drink to that!
Me too! (But only microbrew or import)
That is awesome! I want to put that on the windshields of all the cars in church parking lots on Sunday morning. (I might be irritated enough to do it too, so if you don't hear from me Sunday night please start raising bail money.)
Fold it twice and on the outside note, "Best way to help Haiti earthquake victims". That would throw a wrench in their precious quick and easy world.
Awesome !
This doesn't help the immediate need but will help later on down the road: http://www.mokugift.com/island/renee12. You can pick to plant a tree specifically in Haiti. They need 50,000 and have planted nearly 15,000 so far.
From BEFORE the earthquake ...

That's sad.
Earthquake in Haiti: Cuba responds

The Common Dreams web site reported on a media survey showing only two U.S. mainstream news stories on Cuban assistance in Haiti. The story put out by Fox News stated that Cuba had not offered aid. The Christian Science Monitor reported on the Cuban doctors' arrival there, citing former U.S. Defense Department official Lawrence Korb's view on the Cuban doctors that the United States "should see about flying them in."
Bill, if I had known this article was from a website affiliated with the Communist Party (CP) I would not have posted it. I got the article from a facebook friend who posted it on his wall.
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people."

... if marx got anything right, it was this !

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service