You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible

Someone said on an other site "You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible".  How can you disagree with something you know nothing about?

Seems like a good question to discuss.  I've never read the bible.  I know stories from the bible. I've read about the bible.  People have been preaching to me since I was a kid. But, I spent my youth playing, studying and being surrounded by a loving family.  I'll take those experiences over the bible study and church going any day.  I'm still an atheist. 

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't read Moby Dick, but I don't believe it is a true story.

I haven't read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but I don't believe it is a true story.

I haven't read the Qu'ran, but I don't believe it is a true story.

I haven't seen the movie Robocop, but I don't believe it is a true story.

I haven't read the Alien vs. Predator comic books, but I don't believe they are true stories.

Seriously, what an idiotic statement. Even if you've never even heard of something, it is still possible to not believe it. In fact, it is impossible TO believe in something you don't even know exists! I do think it helps to have read the Bible, but the only use in that is to facilitate certain kinds of conversations with Christians (for example, being able to cite all of God's bad behavior), not to bolster your own disbelief.

I haven't read the entire bible, cover-to-cover, either. I've read a lot of verses, though, so I have a good understanding of what it says. That's how most Christians read the Bible anyway. It doesn't read like a story book, it reads like a reference volume.
I have read the bible twice.
Also TGD , GING,
The same goes for the Qur'an.
How can you argue with muslims if you have not read the qur'an??
So - i'm about half way through it, What a load of rubbish taken from the old testement.
Now when muslims want to argue i can now say i have read it.
You can't be a theist if you've read the bible!

That is my experience.
"How can you disagree with something you know nothing about?"

Isn't that what religious people do all the time, though?

Myself, I've read the Bible -- I was a Christian for 10 years. In some ways, I find the Bible to be the single greatest case for Atheism ever written.
I have to admit, I am something of an Atheist Bible geek. You would be surprised how many of us are out there. Check out former evangelical now atheist Robert M Price's website.
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com/biblegeek.htm

No, I have not read it from cover to cover. If our culture were to become suddenly rational, it would be read as literature of our western tradition and otherwise just a curiosity of cultural anthropology. Sure, there are some timeless bits of poetry, but honestly, the more I study it, the more I am just amazed that people think it holds some special provenance of wisdom and mystical guidance for the betterment of the human condition. The excuses moderate Christians make for the chapter and verse that are just crass tribal chauvinism are just astounding (and fascinating :P).

To be reasonably well informed about our origins as western peoples, we should read it here and there. I am not the only one who thinks so. Richard Dawkins espouses reading the Bible in one of the final chapters of the God Delusion and elsewhere.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1769416.ece
I'm a bit of a bible geek myself, although, I can't quote chapter and verse - which is the passion of the terminally anal retentive. I can say it is the most laborious and boring thing I have ever read.
There is no wisdom that can't be found in most cultures, the moral messages of the bible are either irrelevant, totally stupid, sociopathic or common sense behaviour. However, allusions to the bible are found throughout western literature and in one way or another are part of our common mythos.
Ok I admit it, I haven't read the bible, I haven't read any religious text, I barely got through Crumbs version of genesis. I did read a lot of norse, african and greek mythology when I was a teen so I get the idea of what gods are suppose to be.

However I would argue that a fair number of theists are as educated about their holy texts as I am.
Gerald Scott: Someone said on an other site "You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible".

Ask them, does this mean that you can't be a Christian unless you have read the Qur'an, the Torah, the Bhagavad Ghita, the Atheist Manifesto, Mein Kampf etc., etc.?

Does this also mean that you can't be a Muslim unless you have read the Bible, the Torah, the Bhagavad Ghita, the Atheist Manifesto, Mein Kampf etc., etc.?
I use this crazy little thing called logic to deduce that there can be no god, therefore making the Bible and all other religious scriptures moot.

That's my answer to anyone who might say that to me, if I hadn't actually studied the Bible.
Like others in here, I suspect most Christians haven't completely read their bible either. Otherwise they would have their own doubts and horrors.
What a stupid argument...Its like:in order to disprove the existence of the flying spaghetti monster i must first read the holy book of Pastafarianism? (Richard Dawkins words)
I prefer to read books that actualy make sense and are entertaining. Not mountains of old information that may or may not be true. When I have all of he popular religous texts I may begin studying them, or more likely I'll watch a good movie.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service