You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible

Someone said on an other site "You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible".  How can you disagree with something you know nothing about?

Seems like a good question to discuss.  I've never read the bible.  I know stories from the bible. I've read about the bible.  People have been preaching to me since I was a kid. But, I spent my youth playing, studying and being surrounded by a loving family.  I'll take those experiences over the bible study and church going any day.  I'm still an atheist. 

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol yes, to be fair, the begatting did make my eyes glaze over a bit
Gasp!
It sounds like a completely illogical argument to have - what about the Qu'ran, the Torah or Mormon Bible? Or for people in the lesser-known cults, their works and fictions up until present-day?

Now, I didn't really start reading the Bible or any other religion-based literature until I was about 13, and before that it was the regular Sunday School/AWANA on Wednesdays/Jesus Camp during school breaks. I got a lot of accurately-presented information about the Bible from it, but it still surprises me that this argument is brought up, especially by the people who choose and pick verses to show that you must read the Bible. Its ignorant and illogical in every way.

To take their standpoint for a moment: it is probably because of the cherry-picking Christians who decide to just take all of the verses about God's love and understanding and presenting in a way that is appealing to people who do not believe in any sort of deity. They especially group children under 14 into this matter with the indoctrination by technically mass-marketing these "holy and beautiful" verses to kids and hoping they'll reel the parents in to church.

Nonetheless, its all very maddening.
Exactly! So many people are complete ignorant of the fact that if you look hard enough, you can find exactly what you are searching for. You'll always end up with a few duds, but its worth the ride. The understanding of cultures, religions and people will lead to a better viewpoint for people, as well as exploring both sides of the story, so to say.
It is illogical but keep in mind that many Christians have their heads buried in the sand when it comes to other religions. When I mention Islam or Judaism to my family members it is clear they know practically nothing about either one and have even less interest in learning about them. When I suggest that those religions worship the same god they do their eyes glaze over and they just shake their head. I have just about given up on hoping for logic from them.
I know how that is - not only do my parents and the parents of friends look at me dumbfoundedly, but they also believe that this is "just a phase". You can ask them about certain passages about the Bible and they look at you with doe-eyes as if saying "duhurrr waht" at the same time.

So many people profess to know the book about the deity they currently worship, but a lot of it is a facade and a blatant lie. I mean, look at our current international celedeitys that there are so many apologists for. Sure, you heard two or three verses and clung to them. It doesn't mean it excuses the rest of the book.
The Bible is of far less importance than the claims, language and actions of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhist, Daoists, etc.

Why does everything on this site center on "Christian" this or that ... ?

Are atheists so myopically inclined that they really aren't aware of the fact that religion is a global institution that affects humans everywhere, regardless of geography/politics/society? All religions work from ritualism, quasi-cultural lexicons, hierarchies ...
1. So what?

2. Okay, so my statement of myopia in perspective stands.

3. European religious belief is seriously on decline; and diversity in Europe is well beyond what is here in the State; again, myopic.

4. If it's human, it is most generally a windbag, ideologically. Again, so what?

(Sizes shown are approximate estimates, and are here mainly for the...

1.Christianity: 2.1 billion

2.Islam: 1.5 billion

3.Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4.Hinduism: 900 million

5.Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6.Buddhism: 376 million

7.primal-indigenous: 300 million

8.African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9.Sikhism: 23 million

10.Juche: 19 million

11.Spiritism: 15 million

12.Judaism: 14 million

13.Baha'i: 7 million

14.Jainism: 4.2 million

15.Shinto: 4 million

16.Cao Dai: 4 million

17.Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18.Tenrikyo: 2 million

19.Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20.Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21.Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22.Scientology: 500 thousand

Doubtful these statistics are on, but Islam is currenly the most aggressive, dangerous, of the religions, uniformly, across the globe.
WOW!! Thanks. I learn something new everyday.
Also, a large number of us are former Christians (or at least were indoctrinated into the Christian beliefs), so we are more familiar with the details of Christianity than we are with other religions.
You live in a country where they want you to believe it's a 'Christian nation'. But all of us here on this site are living proof that they are living a pipe dream. But I agree with your analysis - Christianity is more annoying for us locally, so it gets more invective leveled against it.
We have to deal with what is on top of the desk, so to speak. For most it is Christianity, for me it is what surrounds me, what I know most about, and what I used to be. I wouldn't dare speak out against anything I knew nothing about. I would only expose my ignorance, so I stick to Christianity.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service