You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible

Someone said on an other site "You can't be an atheist if you haven't read the bible".  How can you disagree with something you know nothing about?

Seems like a good question to discuss.  I've never read the bible.  I know stories from the bible. I've read about the bible.  People have been preaching to me since I was a kid. But, I spent my youth playing, studying and being surrounded by a loving family.  I'll take those experiences over the bible study and church going any day.  I'm still an atheist. 

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Guess the flip answer would be, "I'm not an a-bibleist, I'm an a-theist."
What about other gods/religions/holy books? In other words, it is not a “holy” book(as there are many) that make one an atheist or not, but whether that person lack a belief in a god or gods.

To also quote Stephen Roberts: "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" ;O)

Katalyzt
A good start is to pick up a copy of R. Crumb's The Illustrated Book of Genesis. It's word for word accurate and the profuse illustrations are faithful to the text - and it's hilarious.
You won't want to burn it.
I'm reading it again for the second time. At the very least buy one and highlight all the horrific parts. I don't think you need to read the bible to reject supernatural nonsense. Ask them why the bible? Ask them why they haven't read the Koran, Poetic and Prose Edda, The Threefold Lotus Sutra, Tao Te Ching, Zend Avesta, The Book of Mormon, and so on. How is it one can read only the bible and know they're right? You don't need to know the specifics about the teapot to doubt it's existence.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
I'm amazed by the people who have read the bible and are still Christians.
I think if you read one chapter in the Bible, and find the bigotry, inconsistencies, etc... It's enough to discredit a good deal of it, particularly if it's commonly taught. Although I personally don't believe in selective Bible-preaching. They have to ignore or re-invent many passages, and that says something.
Well, this is certainly an intelligent way to approach the issue. It's sort of like saying, "Know your enemy."

What's interesting about the question is that it's indicative of the arrogance of some Christians to believe that their Bible is going to be such an overwhelming read that once you've dipped into it, you'll be tempted to go Christian. The problem is that these people believe that atheism is simply a rejection of Christianity, when it's so much more than that. They're looking at it from their very narrow perspective, almost a paranoid perspective of "we're martyrs and everyone's against us".

Truth is you can be an atheist and have no experience with Christianity. That's how irrelevant to the philosophy of life I think Christianity is.
As an alternative to wading through the Bible, a very good explanation of Judaism, Islam and Christianity is 'A History of God' by Karen Armstrong. Beginning with the most ancient fertility gods and goddesses, the concept of God is shown to morph as the expectations of a supernatural entity changed with the times.

It's interesting that the present God of Judaism Christianity can be traced back to "El," the head of the ancient Canaanite pantheon (specializing in crop fertility) who was an old man with a long gray beard seated on a throne in space; was married, had many children, often drank too much and appreciated child sacrifice.
I have to totaly disagree, because coming from catholic-sundays-during-childhood, I never had to read the bible; everything was provided. I have read stories from the Bible, we all know the "basic plot" , having been exposed to it for years even in the secular world. Bombarded with it. I do not have to read it page for page to see what it is. I never read: Mien Kampf-I despise the Nazis, I did not read the Communist Manifesto- I opposed Communism, I have not as much as attempted to pick up a Koran- will safely say I am not a Muslim. So, let's ask those who put forth such a question-some evangelical christian coo-koo no doubt; have you studied: Islam, Budhism, Hinduism, Scientology? How about some classics my friend? Have you gone through the writings associated with the theologies of: Egyptian gods, Persian gods, Greek gods, Roman gods, Norse gods? No? Satanism? Well, there you go
i have never fully read the bible but i like to read some every now and then for the really good parts :P (bears getting summoned by god to eat children) its just a fun thing for me to do. it gives me things to throw at Christians that argue with me. it reminds me how messed up and foolish it is.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

lays it out in a very cool way. you can search the bible in categories based on murder, contradictions and that sort of thing. plus there are links on that site that lead to the Brick Testament. when people tell stories from the bible using Legos, super funny
I've never dowsed myself with gasoline and set fire to myself. Regardless, I'd hazard it's a bad idea.
Well that assumes that xtianity is the only theistic religion which it clearly is not. Atheism by definition is the denial of god(s) - don't need to read a god-botherers book to deny the existence of a mythical creature. It's like saying you have to read a book on fairies before you deny that they exist.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service