I have been reading about Christopher Hitchens' view of God recently. The Wikipedia article about him says:

"You could be an atheist and wish that the belief was true," he told CBC. "An antitheist, a term I’m trying to get into circulation, is someone who’s very relieved that there’s no evidence for this proposition. He argues that the concept of God or a supreme being is a totalitarian belief that destroys individual freedom."

While reading this, it occurred to me that I am exactly the kind of atheist that Christopher Hitchens is not. I would very much like there to be a benevolent powerful God to look after me and guide my life. I only reluctantly yield to the evidence that there isn't such a being.

What are peoples' views about this?

Views: 353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If a being had such power, it would be corruptible by it.

So, no.
Depends what kind of God we are talking about. I wouldn't want to believe in the God of Abraham such a God seems to be counter to the nature of the universe. A free flowing God like the Dao I would like to believe in blind and acting upon things without the favoritism of the Abrahamic God.
I really like being an adult. Having a loving father and/or mother is a nice thing, but their ultimate purpose is to prepare you for independence, not to parent you for eternity.

I also like dealing with the uncertainties of life. I think the free fall and the mystery is fun... While we are fantasizing though, I wouldn't mind having super powers or getting to live a few hundred extra years ;-)
Hi Daniel,
I couldn't tell from your profile if you were ever religious at all or if you were raised in a religious atmosphere, so it's kinda hard for me to comment on your feelings about a benevolent god type. I think a lot of atheists especially newly out, have a hard time filling up the void of their newly opened minds and kinda "miss" the thought of a god, even when they know it's completely fabricated.
I really never had that problem, because I never believed any of it. I don't really relish the idea of anyone/thing benevolent or not, exacting power over my person or mind, and in my opinion if what you wish for were to be true, then in my opinion this benevolent god would have to excuse him/her/itself from our lives and let us be who we are, in order to be benevolent, and couldn't even be god, and why worry about all of that anyway?
It's not really a question I would consider for too long, because there just really is NO god.

I can't think of any god that would be beneficial.  I mean, if you had a problem, and you could pray and some god would immediately take care of it, then why would the god let you have the problem in the first place? 

Hitchens also referred to the implications of the existence of god as suggesting a "celestial North Korea," where you were constantly under surveillance, where thought-crime was a valid and punishable principle, and where you couldn't die to get out of the contract. Indeed, as Hitch said, death was just the beginning of the game.

I am exceptionally glad that there is no god, and I cannot see that the presence of any form of deity would improve my lot or anyone else's on this planet in any demonstrable form.

No disrespect intended, but the question (to me at least) is similar to "What comic book superhero do you wish were real?" Batman or Zeus, Yahweh or Superman, Allah or the Green Lantern, Jesus or the Incredible Hulk? Or, for that matter, Quetzacoatl, Chango, or the Great JuJu of the Forest. Not only do I have no need for any such fantasy characters (unless I'm in a mood to suspend my disbelief and watch Raiders of the Lost Ark). But, I really have no desire for such an idea as an all protective, benevolent, fatherly despot, who rules from a garden of paradise. If I wanted that, I'd move to a beach in Cuba and live under Castro.

Sure it would be great if there were some magical people or creatures living in space who wanted to grant us wishes.  It would be nice if there was a magical man living at the North Pole who brought me gifts too.  I think most people would think a god would be wonderful.  That's why they live their lives in such self deception.   Of course, the rest of the Christian gods I could do without.  Their god of the underworld, Satan does not sound very nice at all.  Their Holy spirit is creepy too. 

Thank god there is no god.

Yes I would prefer my Goddess to exist. The key word is MY- as in hell yes, if I could create the divine being of my choice, I would love for her to exist.

No.  (by this I mean I don't want a "benevolent powerful God to look after me and guide my life.")  What if we vehemently disagree about some things?  I'd be going against the personal design of the lord of the universe.  It would suck to be me.  The god of the Bible is a fictional character who is a genocidal tyrant who tried to put a band-aid on his own mistakes by nailing his own son (who couldn't really die anyway, being the son of god and all) to a cross.  Allah is even worse, and Hindu gods would just as soon skewer you as look at you.  Ugh.

Would this god-being give me a say in the natural order of things and cure cancer for me?  I'd sure like my mother back.  She died too young.  Theists try to rationalize, to the point of absurdity, the existence of evil and bad things happening to good people all the time.  There is no god.  Based on everything I know about the physical universe, there cannot be a god.  I don't want there to be a god, and I'm relieved there isn't one.

If I could wish my own personal god into being, I'd want to share him with all the living beings who have suffered since the beginning of living beings before I'd want a favor for myself.  And even then, I would not want him to violate the laws of physics to create miracles.  If it were that easy, we should all be in nirvana now.  Physical existence is pretty much all I or you have.  We're alone, and we have to create our nicey-nice world for ourselves.  That's actually the way I prefer it.

No gods no masters! I don't think the god of the bible is good - that god wouldn't even make a good friend.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service