I have been reading about Christopher Hitchens' view of God recently. The Wikipedia article about him says:

"You could be an atheist and wish that the belief was true," he told CBC. "An antitheist, a term I’m trying to get into circulation, is someone who’s very relieved that there’s no evidence for this proposition. He argues that the concept of God or a supreme being is a totalitarian belief that destroys individual freedom."

While reading this, it occurred to me that I am exactly the kind of atheist that Christopher Hitchens is not. I would very much like there to be a benevolent powerful God to look after me and guide my life. I only reluctantly yield to the evidence that there isn't such a being.

What are peoples' views about this?

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish things were better. But even if there were a benevelent god to make it so, and he did so, then would not that make us less responsible and just less overall?

I've seen the word, "benevolent" thrown around here a bit, and I suspect said word is going to be problematic the second anyone starts talking about a being with supernatural powers.  I mean, don't we all know the old phrase?

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Judging from the bible, that particular deity had no problem not only throwing his weight around but acting very much as Robert Heinlein described him, having "the manners and morals of a spoiled child."  I don't care how "benevolent" whatever god we propose starts out.  I care what happens downstream, and I remain dubious of any being with extraordinary powers ... PERIOD.

Or, as the old standby bumper sticker says, QUESTION AUTHORITY

If only Jesus and his daddy followed their own advice, as dispensed in the Sermon on the Mount!

Wait, it's the same guy, WAIT! Which came first? or last, …both?

Well, that doesn't make any sense...

…Wait!

I finally understand the Christian circle of reasoning...

NO. NEGATIVE. NEIN. NO. нет. NIE. NON. those are the only no's i know. If a god exists, then well everything else is pointless. some people say atheism is bleak and hopeless, religion is worse.

No. A God means I must follow his rules and agree with him.

I don't like anybody controlling me. I like to think for myself.

Although it would be cool to live in an "Elder Scrolls" or "D&D" style world with their magic and deities, I'm more than happy that in the real world there are no gods. We seem to be the only species which does not seek to "stand on it's own two feet". How ironic.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to roland707's discussion Thoughts on Buddhism?
51 minutes ago
Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
1 hour ago
Warren Jappe commented on Steve Shives's video
1 hour ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
2 hours ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
4 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
4 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
4 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service