I'm a bit too lazy to sort through all of our group's discussions to see whether this exists already, but it's an interesting topic (to me, anyway). I'd like people to suggest, in whatever language they wish, words that do not exist but ought to. I'll start with an example: I think that English should include a word "malefit" that is an antonym for "benefit". I realize we have "drawback", but it just ain't the same.

Views: 141

Replies to This Discussion

A fine suggestion. The only problem is, if you do that, it looks a heck of a lot more like a typo. And you have to decide whether to restore the c before the q. What do you think, "equaintance" or "ecquaintance"? The latter would get the wrong pronunciation, I think, so the former wins by default.
I agree. At this point in time, the hyphen is the only thing that doesn't make it look like a typo.
Oh, I like that. Did you make that up? This is on a different subject, but I also like the word myster-emails, for emails you get from people with no subject line, or one in which you can't tell what the fuck they are talking about.
Category the last = anything from a fundie or an investment analyst.
I used to have pen-pals, so I'm tempted to call internet friends this--although it's more like keyboard-pals.
Shouldn´t we look for a substitute for "god" ? Its really annoying to always have to say "god", or "a god" or "some higher entity" when posting somewhere in English - how about "the nexing" (for the non-existing thing) or else ?
Well, I thought of another one.

I think there is no word for what I increasingly believe is my own philosophy. I find that more and more I reject every meme that comes my way, or at least try to, until I can examine it. I thought about using the term rejectionism, but it is already taken (damn Arabs!):

rejectionism
1. an Arab leader or country that opposes accommodation or compromise in negotiations with Israel.
2. any person or group that refuses to compromise in a dispute.

Eliminationism is taken, too. But I'm not wild about that one anyhow. It sounds like a fancy way of saying your going to the toilet.

Eliminationism is the belief that one's political opponents are not just wrongheaded, misinformed or even acting in bad faith but that they are a cancer on the body politic that must be excised — either by separation from the public at large, through censorship or by outright extermination — in order to protect the purity of the nation.

And nihilism is too extreme:

nihilism
1. total rejection of established laws and institutions.
2. anarchy, terrorism, or other revolutionary activity.
3. total and absolute destructiveness, esp. toward the world at large and including oneself: the power-mad nihilism that marked Hitler's last years.
4. Philosophy. a. an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth. b. nothingness or nonexistence.
5. (sometimes initial capital letter) the principles of a Russian revolutionary group, active in the latter half of the 19th century, holding that existing social and political institutions must be destroyed in order to clear the way for a new state of society and employing extreme measures, including terrorism and assassination.
6. annihilation of the self, or the individual consciousness, esp. as an aspect of mystical experience.

Here are some thesaurus entries for the word rejection.

bounce, brush-off, cold shoulder, disallowance, dismissal, elimination, exclusion, hard time, kick in teeth, nix, no dice, no go, no way, nothing doing, pass*, rebuff, renunciation, repudiation, slap in the face, thumbs down, turndown, veto

What about don't-give-a-shitism? Nah, too hard to type. Any ideas?
What's wrong with skepticism, DG? That seems at least close.
IDK, I want something between skepticism, which seems a little benign, and nihilism, which is too extreme. Skepticism is too warm and fuzzy. I want defiant, but not in your face.
Militant skepticism? Dubiousism?
Something with an eyeroll or facepalm implied in its meaning.
Well, we already know you're a nonbeliever, so why not pump it up a notch to disbeliever, which makes you less credulous dan dat believer? In the No Nonsense group, Jaume brought us ataurocoprist (one who is without b.s.). You'd have to explain it each time, but it would get the point across.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service