I'm a bit too lazy to sort through all of our group's discussions to see whether this exists already, but it's an interesting topic (to me, anyway). I'd like people to suggest, in whatever language they wish, words that do not exist but ought to. I'll start with an example: I think that English should include a word "malefit" that is an antonym for "benefit". I realize we have "drawback", but it just ain't the same.

Views: 149

Replies to This Discussion

Too much of a good thing is never a good thing. Like hypersanity (awful sanity if you prefer). I like a teaspoon of weirdness in my sanity, it tastes much better.
Heh. Thanks.
Soulmate sounds too new-age for me. Too non-sensical, too woo. I can't imagine ever using that word.

I quite like the idea of ma moitié but I would sound ridiculous suddenly speaking a French word with a French accent, and then I'd still have to explain what it meant to those who do not understand French, which would leave me right back where I started.

I don't like CRI, because it sounds like a college term. At my age if I am involved with someone, I wouldn't consider it my "current" romantic interest. It sounds too transient and not important, not lasting. It reminds me of the term flavour-of-the-week.
Why not just "mate"? I realize the term has been co-opted in some English-speaking countries to mean "buddy", but I'm pretty sure it retains its animal-kingdom connotations as well.
I wouldn't say that mate has been co-opted to mean friend or buddy: it's an old word that has evolved a variety of usage and meaning. And the meaning of friend is quite an old meaning.
Not believing in the existence of souls, I'm just as skeptical of soulmates.
I quite dislike soulmate. I've always interpreted it as a New-Age term to replace the concept of husband and wife, and the absurd romantic notion that there is one person each of us is meant (destined) to be with.
Some people do use "better half", which is cute. Or "ball and chain" if you want to be more negative.
I didn't know this was previously used by friends. It seems friendships were more intense in other time periods.
It's interesting to read that for some 'partner' sounds gay. In Australia, it has a heterosexual meaning referring to one's, well, partner: people in a de facto relationship would refer to the person they are in a relationship with as their partner. And it would be used by homosexual couples, too. Partner has no sexual orientation associated with it.

However, it does have the limitation that it is primarily used in the context of co-habitation or of a long-term relationship (many years together). It would sound odd to hear of a couple who had been in a relationship for just a few months refer to each other as partners.
My friends from Seattle referred to their girlfriend as "galfriend." It seemed to be a regional dialect thing. I suppose the male equivelent would be "guyfriend," which I don't like as much.
My 91 year old grandpa has a "lady friend". I've heard that (and "gentleman friend") a lot among elderly people.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service