I'm a bit too lazy to sort through all of our group's discussions to see whether this exists already, but it's an interesting topic (to me, anyway). I'd like people to suggest, in whatever language they wish, words that do not exist but ought to. I'll start with an example: I think that English should include a word "malefit" that is an antonym for "benefit". I realize we have "drawback", but it just ain't the same.

Views: 78

Replies to This Discussion

When I was in college, we coined (I assume) the term "CRI", which stood for "current romantic interest". This term generated XRI and PRI (potential romantic interest). You could use that on this board, at least, since nobody else will know what the heck you're talking about. I've long lost hope of getting those into general usage.
I've long lost hope of getting those into general usage.

Yeah, well, they do have a very organizational or technological feel to them, don't they? Though I can completely understand why and how you guys coined them. They are rather functional, especially since you can so easily replace the first letter.
CRI - that's funny, it remembers me a witticism by the late Sacha Guitry (I think - it might well be Alfred Jarry or someone else). I completely forgot the original, but I was once asked to translate it and my attempt looked like this -

What starts as a crush and titillates your crotch will likely end in a crash before you're old and crouchy enough to use a crutch.
Actually - sounds more like military terms - code names for targets acquired or otherwise. (oops - meant to reply to Bill's post on the acronyms.)
it remembers me a witticism

Jaume, where you trying to be clever or funny when you wrote that, or where you trying to write correctly? The reason I ask is because in that lecture series on language I was listening to, McWhorter said that many languages (including French, I believe) use a self-referential marker (not sure if I'm using the right terms here) like you've used here, which is unlike English most of the time. For example, Germans might say "the window broke itself," not "the window broke." Or "the dog died itself," and not "the dog died."

In English, for you to write "it remembers me a witticism," it sounds like you are purposefully being stupid in order to be funny or lowbrow. Like saying "Who'd a thunk it," or "I'z gots me some luvin'."
Duh! I was trying to write correctly. To paraphrase another wit, Dorothy Parker,

I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I shouldn't post.
Using non-standard English doesn't make one stupid.
I'm talking about trying to be stupid/cute on purpose. We all use non-standard English.
Well, if we would just get sane and allow marriage to be a legally recognized, commited bond between two people ...
We're awfully sane in Vermont.
Lighten up. I'm confident someday, someone will find a cure for that.
I don't understand the context of your comment, Jaume. Please enlighten me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service