I dated this guy for about three times, and I liked him and was comfortable enough to say some jokes, most of it he laughed at. After awhile, he said to me "Wow, usually all women aren't funny, at all". I let it go because I didn't want to mess up the date. But it did bug me a bit.

So I was playing video games with one of my male friends and told him about it, and he pretty much agreed, well not wholeheartily, but I was surprise to see him agree to even a certain extent. I even gave him a list of females who I thought were funny; Carol Burnett, Sarah Silverman, Janeane Garafalo, and he felt kinda impartial.

Do guys generally think this way? What kinda chauvinistic way of thinking is that? I think that kinda offends me, especially when I think I'm a bit witty and quick myself.

Views: 854

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow - THAT wasn't hostile.
It's not chauvinism; it's science. The average funniness per person is higher for men than it is for women. If you don't like it, then get good at being funny and do everything you can to get women to be legitimately more funny. If you just want to stop hearing it, then I'll just say that an atheist forum is about the worst place to choose to try to get it started, since, as atheists, we're more likely to care for the evidence and not for some vague feelings.
The average funniness per person is higher for men than it is for women.

I'm not sure how anyone can quantify funniness. It depends on the culture, situation, skill of the humorist, and perception of receiver. I'm not sure anyone can mark those things on a scale.
Ultimately, this whole thread is kinda silly, because humor is so very subjective. Even for the same person, what might be funny changes with their mood, life events, etc. As with other differences between men and women, it wouldn't astonish me to discover that we inhabit heavily overlapping bell curves. On the other hand, since our brains and use of language are so similar, it would astonish me if we didn't have major similiarities in the ability to produce and appreciate humor. Different plumbing is bound to lead to differences in bathroom humor between the sexes, but I think absurdist humor is equally appealing. I suspect Hitchens was doing his usual schtick of being obnoxious in order to stir people up. He may honestly believe that men are funnier than women, but of course that's almost impossible to measure in any meaningful way, so it's a fairly meaningless assertion. If he just means that there are more and funnier male than female comedians, that would also not astonish me for the same reason that there are more and better female than male nurses--a long, pointless history of exclusion that has kept one sex from attaining par in the marketplace. A difference that seems to be diminishing, so not something inherent, but a lack of opportunity. And who could deny that women have been denied myriad opportunities in most fields of employment, including comedy, for reasons that have nothing to do with ability? Reasons like people like Hitchens saying things like he said.
What does "average funniness per person" mean and how is it measured?
It seems some think that girls can not be funny. Who knows what they think about women.
i think girls can be witty. funny? well...
Witty is a type of funny!
First off, if this point has been brought up, I apologize. I skimmed a little.

Much (NOT ALL) of what I think people consider funny about male comedians is self-deprecating humor, ie. they make fun of themselves, or put themselves in awkward or otherwise funny situations. It is much easier for people of either gender to laugh at something or someone in power than it is to laugh at someone who has less power (making fun of homeless people is considered funny only by a few).

IOW, some people (not me, I laugh at everyone and everything, except for homeless people =) still feel a little cruel about laughing at females, because inequality still exists for them in many situations.

For the record, I am a woman and I consider myself hilarious!
I don't think there are enough GOOD women comedians out there, I do find most male comedians to be funnier over all. I especially hate how it seems like almost every woman comedian has to make jokes about their period or something like that, I just don't find it funny, it's predictable and tacky and think it does your dates claim justice, unfortunately.

But in everyday life I think women can be just as funny as men, I think some women are just a little more uptight and proper compared to their male counter parts, therefor have less to work with.
Sorry. Your thread is way too long to read. I don't know if this point was made or not. If it was, could someone point me to where it was first brought up?

Hitchens actually wrote an article about this that got some feminists in an uproar.

His position was that women have no evolutionary need to be funny because it was primarily the role of the male to attract a mate based on personality, while females are the deciding factor in a sexual situation.

The women who WERE funny, like Silverman, etc... were funny because they followed along the lines of mimicking male humor. Indeed,female comics seem to go along the same lines of other comedy, which tends to go along with the usually profane mockery of an idea.

I think it's an interesting point from my standpoint of not examining it too closely. I don't really care much either way. I think that men tend to be more witty. That's just my generic experience though.
"Do guys generally think this way?" No. I am guy and it is news to me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service