I dated this guy for about three times, and I liked him and was comfortable enough to say some jokes, most of it he laughed at. After awhile, he said to me "Wow, usually all women aren't funny, at all". I let it go because I didn't want to mess up the date. But it did bug me a bit.

So I was playing video games with one of my male friends and told him about it, and he pretty much agreed, well not wholeheartily, but I was surprise to see him agree to even a certain extent. I even gave him a list of females who I thought were funny; Carol Burnett, Sarah Silverman, Janeane Garafalo, and he felt kinda impartial.

Do guys generally think this way? What kinda chauvinistic way of thinking is that? I think that kinda offends me, especially when I think I'm a bit witty and quick myself.

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What Heidi wrote.
That's what I think...the funniest women I have known haven't gone out of their way to be ladylike...not that they were butch or masculine either, but they were just being REAL.
i have zero female friends period. that said though i am friendly and enjoy the company of my partners friends they are still his friends, not ours. so i really don't have any friends at all myself.
i used to think this way , but tina fey has given women some hope. i like to think women are not given the same opportunities as men.after all,sandra bernhard,carol burnett,carol channing, elaine boozler are all funny people,at least to me.since some women like FAMILY GUY,i firmly beleive women recognize humor,but they may have trouble originating it. maybe men have a better understanding on being funny, because within humor,a certain degree of immaturity is needed,& MOST women tend to be abit uptight in that respect. exhibit A.) my sister is my boss , & it drives her nuts when i make all the co-workers laugh...but not her. she just rants ; i don't get your humor. NEED I SAY MORE.
...or maybe, we are enculturated differently. Basically, what you seem to be saying is that what you (or some other men) find humorous is the default of all humor, and not what you (or some other men) find humorous.
their are three certainties in life ; everyone thinks they are great in bed, everyone thinks they have 'taste',& EVERYONE THINKS THEY HAVE A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR !
btw ; jen , ur a hottie. red99@netzero.com
Ha! On the thread in which I was spewing with feminist venom, I didn't expect to get hit on!

Um thanks for the compliment.
That's the 'other' skill men have --- the ability to hit on women even when its CLEARLY inappropriate LOL
I use humor often to defuse many different situations, but more than anything I love getting a laugh out of folks. Most women I know are funny and love to laugh both at themselves and life in general. I think this comes from being content and confident in who you are.
A sense of humor is a quality I've always seeked in all my relationships, and I am often perplexed of those who lack it. I have met both men and women who desperatly need to unclench and learn to enjoy thier lives and the people in it.
If a guy doesn't think your jokes are funny, that's one thing. If he doesn't think you should make jokes because you are a woman, you should hit the eject button and not even glance back to see if he made it down to the ground or not.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service