I have an ASUS laptop with windows 8.  I didn't want the update but I dropped my old machine and broke the screen.  I use it mainly for working remotely, and the internet.  I usually do the same thing over and over, so once I figure out how to make a function work, I keep it that way and get used to it.   I downloaded Firefox and Chrome operating systems for my remote work.  Those haven't changed too much so I'm OK there.  Although, Firefox doesn't support group icon picture change on Ning (Nexus), but Chrome does, which is weird.

No matter what I do on this damn computer, it's more awkward, more difficult, or just can't be done compared to the last one.  I just tried to load a DVD to watch a movie, which I rarely do on the computer.  It took 20 minutes to figure out how. 

It took me a month to figure out how to override the system's self-resize of the screen.  The most annoying time suck since the government invented IRS forms.  Why did they set it up to self-resize and make me go through multi steps every time, and the majority of internet instructions to turn off that function didn't work.

I'm not a computer novice and I'm not stupid.  This system sucks.  It was designed by christians to punish atheists for not believing in god.  Windows 8 is the hell of computer systems.  It is punishment of Sisyphus.  I loathe it.

Absolutely nothing is better with WIndows 8 and a lot of things are worse.

I hate windows 8.  I also hate this damn ASUS laptop, even though I'll probably be using it for 5 years.

Thank you for reading this rant. 

Views: 1744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Android is based on debian Linux.

I still have Windows XP on a desk top computer purchased in 2003. Until recently I used Internet explorer 8 browser and have now switched to Mozilla Firefox. MS support for Windows XP runs out next year at which time I will buy a copy of Windows 7 on a disc to replace Windows XP.

Microsoft is big enough to make different OS for tablet vs. Laptop/desktop.  They are so different, it's like making a fish fly or a bird swim.  OK, there are flying fish and penguins, but I can't think of a better analogy.

Using search wasn't working well for me.  I'm glad I got pissed off now - it led me to look up options.  Classic Shell isn't perfect, but much better for me.  I'm open to any other options - hope there are some.  The little shell icon looks like a Simpson's character on drugs...  but that's OK.

Here is an article with other options, but I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks again, Daniel, for your wonderful Windows 8 post. I'm a computer guru of sorts but had resolved myself to simply putting up with this bad system and thought I had made it work very well for me until I read about your Classic Shell app. (Heard about it before but never bothered to do anything.) Did the download today and I'm now running Windows 8 with an XP shell. Very nice. 

You inspired me also on reading this to go ahead and remove the Toshiba apps that were so annoying as well, and now after some registry work, I can say that I've got a laptop that I am very familiar with. Nothing is as bad as having two programs that work very well together, but you have a third party app "hogging" in there as a go between. Such programs are not needed.

Good idea Dennis to remove unwanted garbage.  I do that now and then by hand. 

Glad the Classic Shell info was helpful.  I think there are other programs out there too.  I downloaded that one and am running Win 8 with the Win 7 / Vista shell.  I'm much happier with that than the damn Win 8 "Metro"

I agree, Windows 8 is the pits.

I've tried their alpha release ("Developer Preview"), their beta release ("Consumer Preview"), the release candidate ("Release Preview"), their OEM demo prior to release, and the final version. Utterly dreadful.

I'm back on Windows 7 (dual-booted with Linux Mint). I also enjoy the Aero Glass aesthetic which they saw fit to rip out completely. I heard they threatened to sue an ex-Microsoft engineer who attempted to patch it back in, putting a halt to his project. Can't have people having the choice!

Moreover, the "modern" style apps suck.

Microsoft were pretty arrogant with this release, to say the least.

You leave me feeling glad it's not just me.  Windows 8 makes me feel computer inept.  I'm not.  I'm not the biggest expert, but I'm not stupid.

Am totally lost now.....I have no idea what any of this stuff is that you guys are mentioning........

I have a desktop, & a netbook, with Windows 7 Home Premium in each, & a 10" tablet with android, which I'm not that thrilled with so use it mainly as an e-reader or fiddling with games. I'll freak when Windows 7 is gone........

Patricia, you are warned!  Avoid Windows 8!  If someone wants you to upgrade, avoid them like the plague!

Yes, that's what the tech told me when I called about it. He said to wait for 9, but the whole thing scares me as I had to learn these things pretty much on my own, & I'm not getting any younger. My daughter has the Mac, but I didn't much care for it when I tried her computer. Not fond of android, but it sounds a lot better than 8!

Given how many people hate Windows 8, maybe someone will listen and create a better operating system. 

Seems to me Microsoft is a bit thick about systems that people hate with a passion! I hope 7 is supported for a long time to come.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service