I don't know if I've ever heard any position by any religion on what is supposed to happen to the developmentally disabled or people who are otherwise intellectually compromised in death. Within the perameters of religion do people without the ability to fully understand and/or assert a belief go to hell or purgatory, etc.? I understand that this may be a question for a religious forum or for those who believe in a religion, but I figured I'd pose it here too.

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My mother is extremely religious and she always says they go to heaven because they don't fully understand, making them innocent.

I've heard that explanation too, and it reminds me of a quote from Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek:

“If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" 
"No", said the priest, "not if you did not know." 
"Then why," asked the Eskimo earnestly, "did you tell me?”

I've heard Hitchens tell that in a debate. Great joke. :)

@ Karina, That's great!!

Simple and to the point :)

OK, next question. What about psychopaths and the criminally insane? Their brains are such, and the delusions so profound, that many are truly not responsible for their vicious and heinous acts. They're not like the Down's Syndrome persons who are friendly and just want to express positive emotion. But, like those with Down's Syndrome and others whose neurological functions are compromised, their cognitive abilities are also compromised. Instead of being likeable and emotionally appealing, they're just the opposite. The drooling rapists and murderers who walk among us. Do they get a pass, too?

All they have to do is accept Jesus on their death bed and they're in.

Which reminds me of an excellent joke by Emo Philips:

“When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”

Another great one. Thanks, Karina. :)

I'd forgotten about that joke! Wonderful! ha ha ha

If my dog can't go to heaven, I'm not going, either. lol

Is your dog developmentally disabled? Mine are. Haha!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service