Is the Christian ethic militaristic?  Bertrand Russell in "Why I Am Not A Christian and other essays" said [A]s the Mohammedans first proved, belief in Paradise has considerable military value as reinforcing natural pugnacity.  We should therefore admit that militarists are wise in encouraging the belief in immortality."  Would we still be in so many wars if we were not a largely Christian nation?

Tags: military, wars

Views: 537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are multiple reasons to everything - and at the end of the day - free and democratic societies don't resort to terrorism or fight wars with other democracies. The world is a better place without Saddam Hussein - although, I feel that the liberation of Iran would have been easier and the Islamic Republic was an even graver threat than Saddam and would have been much much easier and quick.

Of course there are reasons to everything. And the evidence shows that the liberation of the Iraqi people wasn't a big reason at all for the invasion.

This is also why the actual "liberation" and the setting up for a democracy, was not planned and handled with incredibly clumsiness by the USA, whereas the oil fields were quickly secured and plans were already in place (thanks to the energy Taskforce) for what was to happen with them.

The world is a better place without Saddam Hussein

It probably is.

But the incompetence and clumsiness of the operation that achieved the overthrowal, also led to a civil war causing the death of hundreds of millions of people. Is the world better off with that?

Would that civil war have happened had the US not forced things? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Either way airmchair generals such as yourself should be a bit more humble about the glorious wonderfulness of your invasions.

I feel that the liberation of Iran would have been easier and the Islamic Republic was an even graver threat than Saddam and would have been much much easier and quick.

The neo-cons also thought the invasion of Iraq would be easy, that the transient violent effects would be over within months and that the whole affair would pay for itself in a mere decade just by oil revenue.

Look at how it turned out.

You can't honestly tell me that there are Americans who haven't learned any lessons from that.

More anti-American rhetoric

Funny you would say that now since it's your own little initiating little rant about anti-USA sentiment, directed at no one but your own imaginary strawman, that brought this specific country into this discussion while it had been nation neutral up until that point. You get what you ask for ;)
You might want to take a little jaunt to the library and do some reading, in such things as books, newspapers, magasines, and read up on our history since colonialism. I am not your teacher, the role of people talking to each other on forums such as these is not to take/give classes, it is to create a certain level of awareness and awaken curiosities. The leg work is yours to do, there are literally thousands of sources for you to read up on. It will take a while though, so lets say, we meet back here in 6 months or so when you've done some homework, yes?

I'm crying with laughter here. You just like talking to yourself!

I've never denounced the USA, I loved living in the USA. I am talking about colonialism, the impact of western civilisation at large. Colonialism killed off millions of First Nations peoples right here in the Americas. This is simply general knowledge, any book will do. But what your statements make abundantly clear is that you have decided that the USA is the nicest nation in the world, and nothing at this point would change your mind. So I'm giving you time, time may be your only ally. Good luck with your future discussions.

to return to the topic, secularization wud mean less wars. i have foundthat in general secular people do not go around picking fights with people based on unfounded rumors, like we did in iraq.  if president bush and say half of his administration were secular, no i do not believe we wud have even considered attacking iraq.

This is where you unfortunately have no brain. President Bush was a secular President who made his foreign policy decisions based on policy, not religion. We are not the Islamic Republic with a Mullah as the head of government deciding on foreign policy matters. Please learn how to read legitimate books, become wise and mature, grow a brain, and think with rationality. Atheists are supposed to be rational, and your likes are nothing but the most irrational degenerates to exist. You are the type of self-hating masochists Christopher Hitchens consistently has spoken about.
wowq now im brainless AND anti-american and irrational degenerate, how nice
thanks butterfly
These sources quoting Bush (as the one he told the Palestinians) come from sources that are not credible. There is no direct evidence from this and I personally wouldn't trust PLO sources. Bush may have had a "vague" belief that he was doing "god's work" but he did not make his foreign policy decisions based on "god's guidance" or his "religious belief". Religion may have given him more conviction and strength; but the decisions were not ultimately based on belief.
What sources do you want? It is common knowledge. That is kind of a statement that is not falsifiable directly. There are no credible sources that President Bush made any foreign policy decisions based on religion. He wasn't a "crusader". The one policy he may have made based on his beliefs (although it is certainly possible his decision was based on pressure from the religious establishment of his party) was stem cell research. That is bad enough - but on foreign policy, we were attacked on 9/11. He didn't hide in a room and make his decision based on religious delusions.
There are multiple reasons to everything. I don't claim that there was a single reason for the invasion. But oil was not the main reason we went to war. Saddam Hussein was a regional threat and his removal is a net positive for both the Iraqi people and humanity.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service