Will Rick Santorum's conservative social values hurt his campaign for the presidency?

The Washington times has a poll to vote yes, no , maybe or undecided.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/6/santorum-grilled-gay...

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope so.  That man is scary-nuts.

I hope they get slaughtered, and it forces them to realize that evangelist bigots are losing power with the masses.

If not, and if by some strange happenstance this man becomes leader of my country, I am going to apply to Canada for refugee status for being a woman of child-bearing age.

He wants so much to declare himself Pope Richard.

What disturbs me is the statement that marriage is not a right, it's a privilege. I would put this statement on equal ground with China's "one child rule".  When you look at marriage in a "right" vs "privilege" context, I believe it falls squarely in the "right" category.

Thomas Jefferson included in the Declaration of Independence as man's inalienable rights; "The pursuit of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness". I think it can be reasonably argued that whom you choose to marry, the profession you choose, whether to have children or not (or how many) would all fall within the "Pursuit of Happiness". These are areas of personnel choice that the government should never intervene.

I agree with everyone who has responded on here.  What's scarier is that there are SO MANY Frickin Idiots just like him.  I am stunned every time I hear the crap that they spew.  I don't know why, it's just that it's SO WRONG I literally can't believe people can actually believe that way.  I would think it's just people with low IQ's, but it's Not! That is the really scary part.  How do people actually believe that they can force other people, who have just as much right to be on this earth, to live the way THEY want them to?  How can a sane person NOT UNDERSTAND that what they believe is just a BELIEF (and a dumb belief at that), and NOT FACT?

ditto.  i'll add that their Bible tells them it's ok to do so, so they do. 

I guess "don't believe everything you read" doesn't come into play here.

Catholic education destroys children's minds, but a few escape before the damage is irreversible.

Three hundred years of tyrannical government accustomed Germans to obedience and it took the damage inflicted during World War Two to turn them against their tyranny. The damage pedophile priests do is increasing the number of American Catholics who turn against their tyranny. I've heard that hundreds of Catholic schools and churches have closed.

Have you heard the TV ads asking fallen-away Catholics to return "home"?

They are trying to compete with all the Mormon ads on the tube or the Christian Mingle ads (where god picks your date for you). What's coming next – ads for the Snake Handlers?

Ads for Atheists?

"Hi my name is Bubba,  I volunteer at the girls and boys club as a mentor and ....

I am an Atheist"

People thought Bush was too stupid and too extreme so could not wind up as the President.  I don't know - some of the older voters who supported bush are dead, and the next generation is moving into place.  Will that mean more involvement by people who are less accepting of authoritarianism?  Hard to say..

I would not take anything for granted.  His views have not hurt him so far.  These views have given him a soap box.  Others had that soap box and fell off, but at least some of them (Perry, Bachmann, Palin) are much less polished than Santorum.

In the long run I hope his views sink him.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
23 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on nikki summers's blog post atheist billboard
39 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
44 minutes ago
John Jubinsky posted photos
52 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
5 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service