There's a famous saying that, "Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them."

I can't recall the originator - but with recent events in America - and the resulting pathetic rhetoric about political behavior, ignoring the smoking gun/elephant in the room - can America ever shed its historical feudal right to bear arms? Does anyone else think its about time it did?

There really is no need for a civilian to bear arms in the modern USA and despite all the laws - and the impenetrably powerful gun loonie lobby - isn't it about time American politicians grew spines and decided that this really is enough.

A little girl, born on 9/11/2001 lost her most basic and precious right, life itself because another man had the right to carry a gun. Americans you have Megan's law - how about a law to remember this little girl and abandon your primitive right to hold a tool which serves no purpose than to take life.

I note the the people most pro guns are also the most right-wing, pro-Life and pro-God - and if that doesn't prove what an anachronism this law is, I don't know what does.

Tags: gifford, guns, murder, politics

Views: 57

Replies to This Discussion

All I can say is thank Brown for spell checking software! (John Seely Brown...or was it Cary L. Bates or Paul R. Day?)

I'm sorry, but the whole "to, too, two" error found all over the interwebs just pisses me the fuck off.

Eye half a spilling chick here.

Id come wit mine pea sea.

Id hips meal fax awl mine mistooks

Win eye right to fist too fore meme.

'Nuff said?

I am an English teacher.

Heh, nice.

Yeah, spellcheckers are decent for finding the occasional blatant typo, but they're usually pretty worthless for grammar.  If you make a typo on a 3 or 4 letter word, it will often end up being another recognized word, and it slips right through.  Even word-processor grammar-checkers often screw things up and mis-mark things, because they don't understand when you're using a less common application of a word.

Still, it doesn't hurt to run Firefox or some other browser with a built-in spellchecker.  Wait, does IE have one now?  I haven't used that in 6 or 7 years.

Although bashing each other is a real hoot, how about this on-point article?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1440764.stm

Interesting article.  In Bowling for Columbine, Michael Moore pointed out that Canadians own as many guns per capita as Americans, but they seldom shoot each other.  In Windsor, across the river from Detroit, the police chief said there had been one gun murder in the previous ten years.  And the shooter (surprise!) was from Detroit.  Canadians shoot ducks and deer, but Americans shoot each other.  Brits apparently smuggle guns and use them in unspecified crimes.  How many of those crimes involved gun killings, I wonder.  I would like to make a point here, but my apples-to-oranges conversion calculator needs recalibrating.  (I took it to a faculty meeting yesterday, and it hasn't been right since.)

And somehow, I would still rather face a single-shot screwdriver than a pistol with 31 bullets in the clip.

"And somehow, I would still rather face a single-shot screwdriver than a pistol with 31 bullets in the clip."

If you had your Glock with it's 31 rd. magazine (A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm. This speeds up the process of loading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time. Several different types of clips exist, most of which are made of inexpensive metal stampings that are designed to be disposable, though they are often re-used.)concealed in a shoulder holster, and I had a screw driver in hand, I'd win.

I noticed you guys stopped posting on Friday at sundown. Keeping the sabbath are you?
  • I noticed you guys stopped posting on Friday at sundown. Keeping the sabbath are you?

Nope.  I got together with someone more interesting than you guys.

"And somehow, I would still rather face a single-shot screwdriver than a pistol with 31 bullets in the clip."

If you had your Glock with it's 31 rd. magazine [nit-picky prick] (A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm. This speeds up the process of loading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time. Several different types of clips exist, most of which are made of inexpensive metal stampings that are designed to be disposable, though they are often re-used.)[/nit-picky prick] concealed in a shoulder holster, and I had a screw driver in hand, I'd win.

I noticed you guys stopped posting on Friday at sundown. Keeping the sabbath are you?

Wow, thanks for the education.  It makes ever so much difference when you know the correct terminology.  Is not the clip inserted into the magazine?  Are not the cartridges (wouldn't want to piss you off by calling them bullets) in the clip?

You would win with a single shot screwdriver?  But, but . . . what if I had a shoelace?  Screwed then, aren't you?

Oh. The edit thing on here doesn't work.

Yes it does.

Edit:  No it doesn't.

Edit of the Edit:  Yes it does.

Further edit:  Which browser are you using?  Are you running a script blocker or something?

If I could have actually edited my rant rather than having written it all over again with the square brackets rather than the pointy ones this forum disregarded, you would have seen my self-deprecating humor, (or if you had scrolled down before popping a cork).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service