I feel that religion seems to corral the less inquisitive. It appears to be obvious there aren't really any savior gods which leads me to the question, what is it that make so many folks succumb to the so-called holy writ? I think it becomes a study or understanding in anthropolgy, I guess. If we understand why people adhere to such myths as certain truth we may have an easier time to use reason to overcome their superstitious belief system.

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that it is simply a matter of circumstance.

For example, many Americans are deeply patriotic even though they are also 'wordly'. I am. I am an immigrant. I have lived in four countries, have attended 2 International Schools with kids from over fifty nations. I KNOW that America has not cornered the market on ingenuity, tenacity, freedom, boldness or any of those things. Americans, by their upbringing, embody those ideals - perhaps. But look at all the sheep. We are probably one of the least atheistic countries among educated affluent nations. Yet I feel a patriotism that is difficult to shake.

I had to 'evolve' out of my Catholic imprinting. I believe that I also had to overcome something natural that was reinforced by it (as all religions do):

Survival instince + imagination = belief in an afterlife
Confusion + imagination = belief in a god
Fear + imagination = belief in a devil

True, religion DOES probably stifle a certain amount of curiosity. There is much historical evidence to back up that statement. And it ceratinly flourishes among those prone to a herd mentality. Any dogmatic system does. Even science has intellectual inertia to it. New ideas are not accepted as readily as their merits might suggest they should. But, this inertia may have its place too. It may keep us from falling down one rabbit hole after another.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service