Why religion is fundamentally and basically immoral and evil, and should be banned.

Like no other existing human enterprise, religion will one day lead its insane followers to start a nuclear war that will destroy us all over some insult to it or its deity or to the breaking of one of its commandments.
There is no comparable threat to our very existence from any other form of human activity.

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Time for Earthlings to get their sh*t together and find the human race a new home, I think!
Actually you have between 1 and 5 billion years. The Sun is slightly more than half way through it's life cycle.
It's not just about the actual life cycle of the Sun though. As Jaume already pointed out, solar temperatures increase by about 10% every billion years. That increase alone will cause temperature on Earth to go through the roof: above 100°C. That means that it will take a maximum of a billion years before liquid water becomes non-existent on Earth, ending all life as we know it.

As George Carlin said:
"The Earth is not going anywhere. WE ARE. Grab your shit folks, we're going away!"
While I understand where you are coming from, banning religion is just not possible, much less legal at the moment. I do believe that it may one day be seen as a form of mental illness, if it doesn't kill us all first. By the time we get to that point, however, the demographics and the laws will probably have changed.
I hate to give China's government any credit but in this case I have to because they don't disallow religion but at the same time they don't kiss any theoillogical butt either! Our country should take a few notes from them.
Again, there's this thing called projection.

It would do you good to find some hobbies outside of cursing people out over the computer.
The sure sign of a drama queen is to throw around words like "sociopath", "nazi", etc...you've had nothing of value to say, the very first thing you wrote was persecution-whining and since then all you've done is curse people out.

Are you in high school? When was the last time you talked to a real person?
Well anyway I'm out of here, this thread has really gone downhill, and JstnEarthling is without a doubt the most mentally unstable, immature and stupid person I've met on A/N...you're only lashing out b/c you lost the argument ages ago. Have fun!
Oh for fuck's sake man, let it go.
I think psychopathic dictators with nukes are volumes more dangerous than religious countries with nukes.
When it became clear that Hitler (not a fundamentalist religious person; maybe a vague kind of theist, but that's irrelevant) was going to lose WWII, he took on the task of pulling all of Europe down into the abyss. Had his (psychotic) orders been followed, every great European city under German rule, like Paris, Lyon, Vienna, Munich, Oslo, Kopenhagen, would have been utterly destroyed before anyone else could capture it.
Imagine if this guy had had nukes. I have absolutely no doubt that if he had, he would have used them to do just that: destroy all of Europe, or potentially the world.
Similarly, during the Cold War there were more than a few occasions where Americans and Soviets were playing bluff poker with their fingers on the "go nuclear" button.

To avoid these scenarios in the future, the answer should be closer to "Ban nukes." and further away from "Ban everything that could lead us to using them."
Can someone hook me up on the talking donkey chapter/verse again? I lost the thread and just can't wait to pull that one out on a fundie!
I couldn't disagree more.

I am for disestablishment but banning not only would be ineffective but counter productive.

Banning things just serves to bring more attention to what your banning and creates persecution that helps radicalize the base.

How do you plan on enforcing a ban? Fines, jail, censorship? Ridiculous.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service