Okay... So this discussion topic is taken directly from my blog... "the Atheist Goddess."

http://skycometgoddess-atheistgoddess.blogspot.com/2010/02/why-no-w...

I designed this post to be read by Christian Women on my blog... so far... not a single theist has looked at my blog... I hope they change their minds

I am a woman myself, thus my nickname, "the Atheist Goddess." As a woman, I am APPALLED by the percentage of American women who are Christians, even devout Christians. The fact is that there are fewer Atheist women than men out there, which makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me. The percentage of nonreligious women versus men is this: 70% of Atheists are men, 30% of Atheists are women, 75% of self-proclaimed agnostics are men, only 25% women.

These statistics are very sad and demonstrate a lack of will to rise above the strait jacket and shackles religion has put us in as women.
It makes no sense to me for a woman to continue being religious when ALL monotheistic religions, and a lot of polytheistic religious, are SCREAMING HATE at women!

I hate to break it to you women of Christendom, but GOD AND JESUS HATE YOU!
It's true!
Don't believe me? Let the "word of God" speak for itself!

First... God has sentenced us to be punished FOREVER because Eve took the "fruit from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil!" - Try to reconcile that with a god who "loves you!" - Newsflash: YOU CAN'T!
No "loving god" would sentence half the population of the world to eternal suffering and slavery because of one woman's "mistake." That's WORSE than the death penalty or life imprisonment!

Here's another little keeper from "god's holy word!" If you, as a woman, sing or EVEN speak in church... you are a sinner!

"1 Corinthians 14:34 - 35*
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

Still not convinced?

I have a MILLION more reasons why women should NEVER be Christians!

1. No matter whether you do good deeds or not you are EVIL... that's what God said... so if you worship God, you must believe it!
"No wickedness comes anywhere near the wickedness of a woman.....Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die" (Ecclesiasticus 25:19,24).

- So APPARENTLY we're responsible for death too.

2. God believes you are WORTHLESS!
"The birth of a daughter is a loss" (Ecclesiasticus 22:3).

3. It's okay to rape US just not okay to rape MEN!
"Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof." - Genesis 19:8

4. If you are unmarried and raped by a man, then God commands you to marry your rapist and "to death do us part."
"If a man finds a woman who is a virgin who is not married, and he forces her down and has intercourse with her, and they are found, then the man that had sex with her shall give her father 50 shekels of silver and she shall be his wife because he has humbled her." - Deuteronomy 22: 28-29

WOMEN OF AMERICA!! TURN AWAY FROM THE GOD THAT HATES YOU!! DEMAND THAT HE GIVE YOU THE FREEDOM AND DIGNITY THAT YOU DESERVE!! SCREAM AT HIM THAT HE'S A SEXIST BASTARD!! TURN AWAY FROM GOD AND BE FREE AT LAST! FOR IF YOU STAY WITH RELIGION, THEN BY THE WORD OF GOD HIMSELF, YOU ARE WORTHLESS SKUM THAT DESERVED TO BE PUNISHED UNJUSTLY FOREVER!!!

Tags: God, atheists, bible, christian, in, is, sexism, sexist, the, unethical, More…women

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah... you're right. I guess I was a little overly emotional. I am a woman myself and I tend to get frustrated and angry at women that submit willingly to this crap. Its like they WANT to be abused... but even worse... they're sending the message that all women are easy victims and weak of will. I was a little overly emotional in this blog post... oh well. I also have very logical blogs. My next discussion post will be less emotional.
I'm working through my own baggage by writing things down in Word Documents. I have anxiety problems and depression, and in trying to find the real root cause of it all, it all comes down to religion. My mom was basically abused, her parents called her a whore if she ever liked a boy and they found out, whenever her brothers friends came over to play all the girls had to go inside. The girls were basically slaves. I was raised (as an only child) by this woman who was so ashamed of being female- all bodily functions were shameful, blah blah blah. So it's pretty much been ingrained in me that I am worthless and deserve to be tortured forever, every 'sin' I ever commit (especially thought crimes) cause bad things to happen, etc.
I'm so angry, I think I'm really an anti-theist, because I just can't see enough good coming from religions to make them something worthwhile and they spew way too much poison into the world.
This is a very emotional subject. I wish I could take away the misery that religion brings to women everywhere. It's just so damn hard for people to accept the fact that their parents were wrong, that they fed them lies to try to control them and keep them quiet when they were scared. It's so hard for people to accept that they've spent so much time believing fairy tales, giving money to a make believe being, and living to please it.
hey, I really feel for you on this one. I kinda went through the same process myself, and it was good to back track through what I had been told growing up, and rectify it with what I had come to understand for myself. It really is tragic that women really are taught to be ashamed of their sexuality and womanhood. My mother never talked to me about growing up in any capacity, or what makes a good relationship and a strong woman, so for a while all my relationships were with people who were very controlling and even abusive, because it just felt 'normal'. And really, by not teaching your daughter how to respect herself and how to be strong and feel beautiful in her own skin, you are setting her up for disaster. THe whole thing is really sad. I understand what you mean by the 'thought crimes', but the more you start to let your mind go there and work through rationly, I'm sure you will find some peace and clarity. or at least thats what I did.
I am so sorry that you and your mother were subjected to this! ;_;
Because of all the evil has religion has done in this world I have become an antitheist. I see that religion has done good things occassionally... but the blood that it spills and the misery it creates far outweighs any good it may do. Further, if it is any consulation, the fact that Yahweh/ Jehovah/ God/ The Lord/ Allah [I just call him the god of many names] seems to hate women in the writings attributed to him is further proof that he doesn't exist and was just made up by sexist bronze age men with real problems with ther own sexiuality.
I like your post. I am woman who grew up Christian, and I was told that the greatest thing I could hope to achieve was to be the wife of a minister. My mom would tell me that I was destined to be the quiet supportive wife to some great man. Even tho I was just a young girl at the time, I knew that sounded terrible. "Fuck that, I want to be in charge and he can suport me". But tragically, that is the mind set that most Christians have. I think that because, whether we like it our not, our culture has been shaped by christianisty, lots of people accept the mindset of 'men in charge of the household'. However, I guess I have hope because the definition of what a family unit is is changing drastically, especially since men are not longer really necessary to have a child. But yeah, I never really thought of how fucked up christianity really is to women.
Sky, I'm happy you are helping expose the fact that Islam is not the only sexist religion.
You forgot a big one: "you shall not covet your neigbor's wife", from the Ten Commandments. Unless lesbianism was both rampant and tolerated when it was written, this injunction could only apply to males. And since there's no gender distinction in the Decalogue, we can assume all other Commandments were written for males too. As if God didn't care teaching women how to behave. Women = cattle.
Oh my... very good point. Ugh, there is so much to fuel the hatred of theists, and whoever wrote that damn book
You are not overly emotional on this issue. There is no shame in showing emotion. Some things are so heinous, that we are lying to ourselves when we try to squelch our emotions about them. Rock on and shout and rant all you want. I think it's cleansing and healthy. No Christians are going to read it anyway. And nearly all who might stumble upon it would dismiss it out of hand and pray to their god to separate them them from truth and logic so they don't have to consider what you have presented here. I am also a woman. Proud to be a woman. Proud to be an atheist. And sometimes I get a little loud. It's good for the heart. And the joints, too. I used to have arthritis pretty bad, but no more. I think venting my anger has lessened my stress and somehow resolved the inflammation that was causing the condition. Ten years ago I thought I was destined for a wheelchair. Now I can outrun my entire family, teens included. So go ahead and unleash.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of atheist men who are abusive towards women too. I recently left a forum because of the rampant misogyny.
Good point! lol

Sometimes we come to expect that an atheist world would be better than a religious world, but I'm nowhere near 100% certain about that. Ideally, my perfect world (fantasy actually) would be one where each nation is built of volunteer citizens, that each nation have different sets of guidelines and people join as they see fit. Fantasy I know. Since it would be impossible to give equal resources to each nation, therefore rendering philosophical choices impossible.

I envisage living among people I respect, I fantasize about that.

And then there are the Thatchers and Coulters and Palins of the world, who are a disgrace to women themselves.
You make some good points here - and it's an issue that should be given a lot more attention. But then the patriarchal (sexist) preconceptions that shape Christianity (let's not even talk about Islam) are still current today. They're not as blatant, but concepts of 'gender roles/identity' (masculinity, feminity and their implications/associations) are deeply ingrained in our cultures.

I was raised in a strongly feminist environment (thanks mom!) and I still catch myself making assumptions about irrational things like 'propriety' and so on - and (this is the important point) not as a result of dominant socio-cultural practice (i.e. accepting gender identites as they occur in the 'imperfect' reality of society), but as basic generalisations (i.e. as if they were true).

I think it's important to recognise the separate strains of patriarchy and religion in all this, however (I've written a short note about this before), and an understanding of the underlying sexism of organised religion should be promoted alongside an understanding of more basic patriarchal tendencies and mechanisms in society.

In other words, women might be more likely to become dissatisfied with religion and the way it promotes gender inequality if they were encouraged to explore the origins and workings of the phenomenon more generally - why have traditional social structures traditionally disadvantaged women and how and why is this reflected in religion...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service