The new Church & State newsletter from Americans United for Separation contains a squib about an effort in Pennsylvania schools to put creationism or its latest incarnation, I.D., on curricula alongside science courses, including biology.  A Pittsburg paper did some poling and found that although about 90% claim to believe in evolution, the other 10% include, unfortunately, science teachers.

Or at least one.  A guy named Joe Shomer, who teaches chemistry, claims that the planet was created about 10,000 years ago and that scientific methods (presumably including so-called critical thinking) used to date the earth are flawed and untrustworthy.  One begins to wonder if Shomer went into teaching because his "understanding" of scientific methodology kept him from making it in the real world.  Adherence to dogma tends to be rigid and irrational. 

Unfortunately, this guy is broadcasting his religiosity in the classroom, claiming that inquiring minds among the students want to know, "What do you think," which presumes that Shomer introduced creationist talk into the lesson plan.  He tells them: "The Bible is the source of truth."  Rather than go into my usual tirade here about slavery, father-daughter incest, slaughter of any other tribe that does not believe as you do, talking snakes, women created from ribs, and so forth, I should only observe that when Shomer disses carbon dating, we might respond that it is at least as truthworthy as all the accounts of miracles, a burning bush giving a mythological rabbi ten silly rules always more honored in the breach than by the observance, "God" himself proving top hypocrite, like a cop who speeds past your car because he just got off duty and wants to go home to a beer.

Rob Boston, a fine writer for the A.U. magazine concludes, correctly, that students with science teachers like Mr. Shomer, will rue familiarity with the man and his cockamamie ideas if and when they get to college "and struggle in freshman biology classes."  Can't you just imagine one of the dumber ones contradicting his professor by claiming that our planet is only 10,000 years old and that evolution cannot possibly be a fact, because, I mean, "Why do we still have monkeys?"

Views: 477

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Say what?!

The ability to work in abstractions is what gives mathematics its great power and wide applicability, but it can be a major difficulty for students, especially at the beginning of algebra. Most students can learn if they are given enough time and proper help.

Recently I tutored the daughter of a friend, a very bright girl who was having trouble with high school algebra. Her teacher had taught her a method for solving simultaneous equations in two or three variables. She could apply it, but in some cases it led to such long computations she invariably made mistakes in copying from one line to another. I suggested that she look at each set of equations and see if there were not shortcuts to be taken.

She was uncomfortable with that idea and resorted each time to the cumbersome method she thought her teacher wanted, and of course she continued to make mistakes. Her notion was that mathematics consisted of rules to be applied as given by the teacher. To indulge in a creative shortcut was heresy. That's not good teaching, but it never does to criticize the teacher or text when you are tutoring—it creates an unresolvable conflict in the student's mind.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

 

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Profile IconEric Rutherford, Dana Porter and Derek joined Atheist Nexus
2 minutes ago
Steph S. commented on Joan Denoo's blog post To teach fables, myths, miracles and superstitions as fact is an outrageous thing
11 minutes ago
Steph S. liked Joan Denoo's blog post To teach fables, myths, miracles and superstitions as fact is an outrageous thing
11 minutes ago
Loren Miller liked Loren Miller's discussion Super Bowl Chili Casserole
20 minutes ago
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Food!
21 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a blog post
52 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

Eddie Izzard "Stripped": God and Atheism

Eddie Izzard discusses God, atheism, and Hitler in this hilarious clip from his "Stripped" Tour, recorded in London's Lyric Theatre on Dec. 22nd and 23rd, 20...
2 hours ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service