Why is there no atheist party in European Parliament?

There are many Christian democrat parties in the Europe. (Indeed I don't think to be Christian and democrat together.) So an atheist democrat party is needed against them.

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have joined Atheist Nexus just in October and I find, to my utter astonishment, that the atheists are a divided lot, without being in politics. How much united will they remain if you add the lure of power to their minds? Why atheists should want political power? Atheism is a social phenomenon and they have a role cut out for them that is, to rid the world of blind belief, and if possible, give a new social order, post-religion.

This is a big task before us and we should become and remain conscious of this task.

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

I think the reason has been discussed in various forms in the sense that Christians have a political agenda because they have certain definable opinions - many Christians share the same core ideas.

However, Atheists are only people who not believe in a god. Quite simply, this includes everyone on the planet who does believe in a god - anarchists, buddhists, marxists, non-political peoples, tribes people who have never heard of god, you name it -  you get my drift...

Atheism is not a political phenomena; it's simply the lack of belief. It'd be like having a political party for people who don't believe that The Lord of the Rings is real.

However, it should certainly be more possible to have an anti-theist party because an agenda is automatically implied. That said, this would really only work in non-secular countries because many Western countries already have a secure secular foundation (though, to be topical, I wish someone would kick David Cameron up the arse for his comments this week)

All atheists can really do is continue to a) propagate the refusal of faith-based belief b) make sure that religion does not impinge on our social rights and c) hope that enough people eventually catch on.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service