i see there is "Black Freethought" as one of the groups listed on the main page. is there something different about black freethought as opposed to white freethought or just freethought without any race attached? would it be tolerated to post a "white freethought" or "caucasian freethought" group? this is sickening that this is allowed here.

Views: 187

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

"IF anyone starts a White Freethought group" THis is the first moment that I thought this might actually happen. Actually, I doubt that it's being considered, and I don't think it would be approved. I hope that the A|N board is not so "free speech uber alles" that they approve such an atrocity. The idea that a website that is probably 95% white would need to set aside a "white space" is reactionary.

The original poster, after posting this divisive subject, now has not responded to the almost 100 comments.
I would not care if there was a white freethought as along as there is no hatred discussed which is the same as I imagine of the black freethought group though. Black people gather in order to discuss the same struggles that we each experience that other races cannot relate too. Are there any white people that feel that they have struggles that no other race can relate to? Most of us are living in a predominately white society so I do not think there are struggles whites are facing that supersede that of another race. If the tables would turn I would understand. But creating a white group out of rebellion of a stupid and illogical point that you're trying to make (while failing horribly) is ignorant. Ignorant in that you don't understand what its like to be a minority through race.
I can understand your response, but if you think the OP was not a genuine atheist and only entered this forum in order to stir the pot and cause dissension in the ranks (something he clearly failed to do) I suggest you hit the "Report an Issue" link at the very bottom of this page and make your case to the moderators.

Everyone has been extremely moderate in their responses to date and I think, Skepticat, that your instincts are correct. But I know that Richard has been tested severely in trying to deal with those who exhibit trollish behaviour on Nexus when our own members respond to them in kind. How can he ban one and not the other?

I'm not suggesting what's been posted so far is an issue, but I wouldn't like to see it go any further. If you guys think the OP should not be welcomed here, please make your case through the proper channels rather than taunting him in the forums (as tempting as that may be).
Hey, wasn't suggesting you'd be banned for them Skepticat. Just taking pre-emptive action. ;-)
True - it's like saying the Harlem Renaissance was a 'racist movement.'
*facepalm thread and OP*
It seems to me that the people who are still repeating the OP questions have either not read the thread

Way too common behavior, and one of my pet peeves with online discussion groups. Of course you can't expect people to read 10 pages of comments before jumping in, but with a bit of discipline from everyone it's likely these 10 pages wouldn't be here to start with.

It's a vicious circle. As well as a metaphor of human irrationality ;-)
Didn't someone already make this point? ;^)
Hehe. It's well possible I missed a couple posts in this thread. 8-|
This is a group for ALL interested in the subject of black atheism, free-thought, & humanism. "Black" pertains to all people of African descent.

This is all there is in the group's about segment. That means white folks can join so there is no actual exclusion making the complaint irrelevant and in accurate. They don't even check race cards before you join.
My experience has been that race, like gender etc. is more about how others treat you and how that shapes your experience. Just because it shouldn't matter, does not mean it doesn't matter.
An example, parable if you will. A friend of mine was staying with us during the 2008 election and got a text from another friend "If Obama doesn't win smack the first white person you see" (it was a joke, please let us not get excited, JOKE) My first response was, I hope Jaime wakes up before me then it dawned on me "Damn it, I'm the only white person in the house"
The point is, yes when with those we love we are just us, but as soon as we open the 'door' to the world we are who everyone else sees too.
Sickening? What?
Man, it is a fact that different races/ethnic groups have experiences unique and specific to that particular group. There would be nothing wrong with a "white freethought" group and no one would have a problem with it unless it were some sort of white supremacist group or somesuch nonsense. Though, personally, I don't know if why a "white freethought" group would even be considered since atheism, as a movement seems to be dominated by white men. It therefore makes sense for there to be a black freethought group or a woman's group or what have you.
Sheesh, dude. Carry that somewhere else.
Hey - it takes almost 8,000 years of sunny heritage to evolve a high rate of pre-tanned children. You can't just buy melanin. Jeesh! :^D (P.S. I'm a pre-tanned child - but not of African descent)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service