i see there is "Black Freethought" as one of the groups listed on the main page. is there something different about black freethought as opposed to white freethought or just freethought without any race attached? would it be tolerated to post a "white freethought" or "caucasian freethought" group? this is sickening that this is allowed here.

Views: 218

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Look - here's the issue with your stance. Officially, in France, 'race' is a construct - it has no meaning and, therefore, can play no role in the making of laws. As a result, for example, there are no laws protecting people from being descriminated against when they are looking to rent an apartment. Do you think that people aren't discriminated against when looking for an apartment?

Since bigotry is not only real, but the 'on the ground fact' is that we all tend to 'group up' with those who have a common experience, it is healthy to acknowledge the differences. I belong to groups that identify me as having ADD, an interest in science fiction, science, etc. If you don't think being black, in and of itself, identifies you as having a common experience to other people who are black - you are living on some other planet.

Also, racism is the application of power to exclude or oppress others based on visible genetic differences other than gender. Have you tried joining the "Black Freethought' group and been rejected because your skin is too white or your heritage too norther European?
in France ... for example, there are no laws protecting people from being descriminated against when they are looking to rent an apartment.

There's a more general law that applies in this case:

Loi n°90-615 du 13 juillet 1990 tendant à réprimer tout acte raciste, antisémite ou xénophobe

Article 1

Toute discrimination fondée sur l'appartenance ou la non-appartenance à une ethnie, une nation, une race ou une religion est interdite.
Nevertheless, bigots are able to hide in plain sight - so to speak - since the denial of the construct is a tacit denial of the bigotry based on that construct ... similar to the underlying thesis of this question.
Right. Absolutely.
Basic translation for those who don't speak French - forgive me, my French is pretty awful too:

Any discrimination based on the membership or the non-membership of an ethnic group, a nation, a race or a religion is prohibited.
Ooops. Thanks, Krusty.
:P
Ha ha - I speak French and just answered ... thanks for the translation. Very considerate.
My French is so bad that when I got into a cab at the Moulin Rouge and asked the driver to take me to St Germaine he turned around with a pained look on his face and said, "Please speak English!"
Lol - but if you had not attempted to speak French - he might have refused to speak English. lol.
It's not racist. To say your black if someone asks you and to not admit it would be complete BS. Same thing with the group. There is nothing EXCLUSIONARY about the group. I've never known the group not to admit members of races, and if they did would be the first of me hearing about it as I too am a member. The concept of race while not scientifically true, is true in more practical, dare I shutter to say human terms. But if it makes you feel any better the concept of race is BS, what people are really talking about is either skin color, or culture. There are many blacks for example, that do not share the same cultural aspects of blacks growing up in America. As well you have generational lines as well.
It exists probably for the same reason that specific groups exist for women, LGBTs, people in certain states/geographical regions, etc. If you're a member of a particular group, especially one that has been historically oppressed or otherwise left out of the mainstream, your experience can be somewhat different than that of others. Even in the world of freethought, sadly, old patterns can endure. After all, just look at the public face of our movement--a bunch of heterosexual white guys.

Is it any wonder people might enjoy specialized groups?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service