i see there is "Black Freethought" as one of the groups listed on the main page. is there something different about black freethought as opposed to white freethought or just freethought without any race attached? would it be tolerated to post a "white freethought" or "caucasian freethought" group? this is sickening that this is allowed here.

Views: 183

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I saw that. Wonder how one breaks into that...
Troll!!!

I'd like to add my support for the Black Freethought Group. Recognizing that atheists are not an homogenous group, Atheist Nexus allows atheists with similar interest and experiences to share their thoughts in a variety of groups.

My group is the Aussie, Kiwi and south Pacific Atheists Group. Its existence in no way suggests that Australians want to set themselves apart from the rest of the world or that we want any special treatment. It exists simply because Australian atheists have common issues and experiences they do not necessarily share with, say, African atheists or British atheists.

Black atheists do have specific experiences and issues that are not shared by those of other racial communities. One could say, however, that as the majority here, white American atheists are well-served by the general forums which they dominate.

In answer to your question, yes, there is a difference between black freethought and white freethought, and male freethought and female freethought, and American freethought and Australian freethought, and your freethought and my freethought. That's because we are not sheeple, we do not always agree, and we negotiate our freethought through our own experience and knowledge rather than having it imposed upon us from above.

Our aim is to allow all of those different perspectives to be discussed and heard on Atheist Nexus - not to divide us, but to discover what it is we do have in common so that we can present a united, if heterogeneous voice, to the world and use the power that we have in our considerable numbers to effect change.

Now, you can be a part of this positive action for change, or you can continue to post negative, racist posts like this which have a suspiciously theistic aroma to them. You choose, but let's see how far the latter course takes you. Not very far, I suspect.
this is sickening that this is allowed here.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??!!

"Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race..."
Precisely. I like your definition even better than the one I submitted. At least initially, we all tend to 'bunch up' based on surface information ie - demonstrate predjudices. When we rationalize this behavior, we move into bigotry. It is only when we formalize it and apply it as if it is true that it becomes racism. I do not like the way the word is misused because it tends to mislead and muddle 'community based on similarity' with 'righteous oppression' - which is ridiculous.
It's unfortunate that we still have to think in terms of skin color at times but some of us have to deal with that and if that means connecting with others in a group setting then I say go for it.
Obviously there is no need for a white freethought group seeing as there are no problems finding an array of white people almost anywhere you go these days, not to mention the history behind different races creates a problem here as well.

I see why you may be frustrated but it might be misdirected, I hate to think in terms of race too, I hate thinking that I'm seen as any different from someone else just because of our skin color, but I guess it's still the world we live in and we have to deal with it, at least for now. Lets just hope for a day when skin color is no longer an issue on this planet for anyone, where everyone is just of the human race, that would be awesome.
ooh I like this reply. It goes along with what I think pretty well. I hate looking at people and labeling them, their thoughts, or their groups based on skin color.

why can't we all just get past that?
In response to you and Lacey, you should not assume that many contributors to Black Freethought don't share the same interest in getting past all that. If only we could all get past what we should get past, but if others won't let us get past it; if it's a social reality that persists, then one deals with that reality . . . hopefully without turning it into an absolute. Integration is a two-way street. Actually, it's more than that, as it transforms the sense of reality and set of assumptions and self-concept of all who participate in it. all must be subject to critical scrutiny. The last thing I'm interested is in confirming people's sense of social identity just as it happens to be right now.
Hey, I can see why the group is needed. I'm glad there is a group for ex-mormons. It's good to belong to a group of people who understand where you are coming from. America is a different experience for people of color. I can respect that. I hope people don't mind if I lurk and learn.

I'm mostly caucasian. I'm about 1/16 black. I'm about 1/4 native american. I want to know more about what people of all races face, so I don't behave like an ass and add to the problems they have to deal with.
I agree with the OP.If there is a "Black Freethought"I can see no reason why there can not be a "White Freethought"
Well, maybe then we could finally hear the voices of white atheists, like Dawkins, and Harris. And that other guy. I've heard that they have something to say, so it's about time that we have a chance to hear about them. They have been ignored for too long!
Now, only if Fox News understood this...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service