Being an atheist doesn't mean you worship "satan" or kill babies. So why does the word that merely means a lack in belief in an, in my opinion absurd, God make people cringe as it does? 

Tags: atheism, biases

Views: 1487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You say that as if it is a negative occurrence.
It sure does appear that way Don. I've got to give it to him though, he's better than most theist trolls. Of course most of them are dumb as a bag of hammers.
Think "Charles Manson" and then wonder why it has such a negative connotation.

Do some research. Take a course in critical thinking. You are embarrassing yourself and don't have enough insight to realize it.

BTW Never met a true atheist who believed in pentagrams and goat's heads any more than they did any other gods or superstitions. Why on earth would they? Belief in superstitions and spirits flies in the face of atheism which is born of reason.

I am an extremely happy atheist. My anger comes when rational thinking is dogmatically replaced by sloppy thinking. For example, read your posts and count the number of comments you make that have no supporting evidence other than your own arrogance and egocentrism.

I do agree with you to some extent about atheism replacing theism, but not for the reasons you cited. I'm not sure the average Joe has the cognitive skills or the courage to deal with existence in a rational manner as a true adult. Your posts lend support for this theory.
Sorry for feeding the troll folks. He probably masturbated to my response!
Now, that is an exhibition of "critical thought".

E` adanto, raggaza, siamo fatti qui.
BTW Never met a true atheist who believed in pentagrams and goat's heads any more than they did any other gods or superstitions. Why on earth would they? Belief in superstitions and spirits flies in the face of atheism which is born of reason.

So now, all of atheism comes down to your determinations of what is "true" and what is not? Born of reason, really? Every atheist is determined true or not by your reasons? Arrogance? Egocentrism? All of atheism is subject, only, to your experiences? No other experiences to be had by anyone other than yourself, interesting. I didn't say "belief in pentagrams and goats heads"? Reading comprehension is really an issue here. If you actually read the post, as it was, the statement was completed with "for pissing off the church". Behavioral context, which ends in a negative social perception, leading to the diminishing of the term.

I am an extremely happy atheist. My anger comes when rational thinking is dogmatically replaced by sloppy thinking. For example, read your posts and count the number of comments you make that have no supporting evidence other than your own arrogance and egocentrism.

And you have posited what exactly? Posted with what references? Your assumptions, your truth, your determinations ...
Overview
Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which there is an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with one's self.

Symptoms
A person with narcissistic personality disorder:

Reacts to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
Takes advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
Has feelings of self-importance
Exaggerates achievements and talents
Is preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
Has unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
Requires constant attention and admiration
Disregards the feelings of others, lacks empathy
Has obsessive self-interest
Pursues mainly selfish goals

Treatment
Psychotherapy may help the affected person relate to others in a more positive and compassionate manner.

Causes
The cause of this disorder is unknown. Narcissistic personality disorder usually begins by early adulthood.

Tests & diagnosis
Personality disorders are diagnosed based on a psychological evaluation and the history and severity of the symptoms.

Prognosis
The outcome varies with the severity of the disorder.

Complications
Relationship and family problems
Alcohol or other drug dependence

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Narcissistic+personality+disorder
Here in South Africa, there are very few atheists. When my brother started dating a lady who turned out to be very religious, she was shocked to find out that our whole family was basically atheist (aside from my mother). She continued to date my brother but expressed her great confusion in the fact that he was atheist and still a very decent man. In the few months she dated my brother she could not get over that small thought she had branded into her brain that atheists were bad people because of their "absence" of belief. I think this is because she had been basically brainwashed by her church to the point where any sort of contradiction in her religious thoughts would not spark thought, but simple avoidance. She eventually broke it off with my brother because of his beliefs, and then proceeded to blame him for the "pain" he supposedly caused and basically for everything she had actually done, finding ways to label him as a "bad atheist" once again so that her stereotype was not broken.

This was a very unfortunate situation but one that showed me how mindless and hypocritical religious people can be.
These demotivational posters are hilarious! "Creationism. Because desert goat herders living in tents 3000 years ago knew more about the cosmos and biology than mosdern day scientists" Rofl!

Raptor Jesus is my new saviour!
I am really sorry to hear this! That is ridiculous. This just shows you that people are extremely ignorant.
I'm from Brazil and this I had the same situation, in that my girlfriend was a bit shocked to find out I was a atheist and a basically I'm a decent person.

However, in our case, thing turned out ok. At first she was shocked, but once I showed that I didn't change anything, that I still remained the person she fell in love with, she was ok with the situation.

I felt bad because I had to experience such reaction, it was not a good thing for me. But in a recent poll here in Brazil, atheist are the number one hated minority. With 17% hate and 25% feeling antipathy towards atheists. So, if I can swallow my indignation and make others get past the prejudice, in the end of the day, I think it's worth it. :)

Today I'm taking a more open stance than before, fighting my shyness to come out of the closet and engage people over this issue. If I can dis-mystify that prejudice with a few people, perhaps it could affect others... I don't know, but I feel optimistic even with the odds against me here. :D
I think every believer, at some point, will question the existence of god. Even Mother Teresa did. This brings up a lot of fear as T.A mentioned - people invest a lot of faith in their religion. Atheists are kind of like walking, talking symbols or reminders of that.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Richard Cahill commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
22 minutes ago
Future replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
33 minutes ago
Seaburrito posted a status
"Getting started selling stuff using ebay, Man there's alot of technical procedures between paypal and ebay to navigate...."
52 minutes ago
Future replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
55 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
1 hour ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
2 hours ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
2 hours ago
Luara posted a discussion
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service