I was reading an article in the "Atheist Revolution" blog and I came across this snippet:

When I encounter a parent telling her children about Santa Claus, I may find it unfortunate that someone would lie to one's own child merely for entertainment purposes. The potential for harm here seems trivially small. I cannot say the same for the Muslim parent instructing his son in the virtues of martyrdom or the Christian who tells her daughter that her Jewish friends will go to hell because they have not been "saved."

Could we not add something like the following to the last sentence:

...or the jew who tells his kids that he's "chosen" and has a covenant with god that entitles him and his "people" to the land of Israel, and then uses that as justification for a bloody occupation of Palestine.

The one-year anniversary of Operation Cast Lead is approaching (Dec. 27th) and I think we should take a look at where we've come since then. The Goldstone Report: buried. Settlements: expanding. Palestinian house demolitions: continuing.

As atheists, we should be appalled whenever religion is used to justify actions that result in suffering or death. We do not seem to hesitate to speak out when a child dies because a Christian Scientist eschewed Western medicine in favor of prayer. We do not seem to hesitate to speak out when a Muslim nutjob finds motivation in his religion to grab some firearms and gun down some people. Why are we silent when an ethnic group uses a story about chosen people and covenants in The Big Book of Jewish Fairy Tales (aka, the Old Testament) to justify what is looking more and more like a slow, methodical ethnic cleansing campaign? Why do the Jews need to have Jerusalem all to themselves? Why is it so important to them to have a Jewish majority that they'll turn Gaza into a prison camp and The West Bank into Swiss cheese where the Palestinians are forced to live on smaller and smaller plots of land and endure more and more restrictions on their movement? If this were being done to a Jewish population they'd be screaming about a second holocaust.

The bottom line is that all three major religions are guilty of many modern-day atrocities and have a great deal of blood on their metaphorical hands. Why do we only bewail the actions of two of those three major religions?

Views: 1955

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The heck it isn't. It isn't realistic because superstition, as we all know, dies hard, but it would go a long way toward bringing about a solution. Everybody has problems everywhere. People do not murder each other constantly everywhere. Mostly where their god tells them it is perfectly justified and the other side's god tells them the same thing. That Nobel Lauriate, what's his name, said it best.

"You will always have good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things. But to persuade good people to do bad things, it takes religion."
It doesn't just take religion to persuade good people to do bad things. It takes ideology.
As we are reminded by numbskull theists, atheists have also been involved in at least a couple of very bad regimes.
Silly and childish. Though I agree that religion makes things much worse. as for my perspective, shame on you all for not taking it seriously, for you're all running around in circles. Of course I see no resolution of the problem as a realistic prospect, only perpetual disaster.

I have to say, that in this exchange, which is becoming too voluminous for me to follow much longer, the defenders of Israel are mostly delusional, whilst the critics, excepting the individual who introduced this offensively worded topic, have been much more reality-oriented without the anti-semitic subtext I've been seeing too much of lately, especially within the left.

Even making all allowances for Israel's security needs, Israel has no right at all stealing almost all of the West Bank, regardless of who started what, regardless of the Arab states' putative delinquency in not taking in the Palestinians, etc. It's criminal dispossession, and the Israeli settlements should all be dismantled. and the right-wing motivations of Israel's current policies, which are not at all about self-defense, have to be owned up to. assuming of course one is really interested in the welfare of Israeli Jews, without some other agenda.

But much of the agenda is hidden, mostly the economics of the war economy and of expansionism--the corporate interests involved. The class perspective is entirely missing from this discussion. If there were a powerful Israeli left and a powerful Palestinian left, and a powerful left in the Muslim states in the region, the discussion would be entirely different. But the whole region is a deformed product of feudal barbarism, empire, and capitalist exploitation. It's exactly the place where simplistic thinking and childish formulaic sloganeering can least be afforded.
Criminal? How so? I've looked at the IP from legal angles, and no, it is not illegal for Jews to settle in the West Bank, that is just simply an ignorant position of someone buying into Palestinian propaganda. The reality is that it was controlled by Jordan, and then occupied by Israel after the 67 war. In 1988, Jordan said they don't want it anymore. So what makes that land belong to the Palestinians?

Again, I think the settlements are a huge mistake, but they aren't the problem as to why the IP conflict hasn't been solved. It has always been the collective Palestinian side's goal to wipe out Israel and accept nothing in between.
"It has always been the collective Palestinian side's goal to wipe out Israel and accept nothing in between."

TAJ, not sure this is a fair statement, or at least, I'm not sure what you mean by "collective" here. I've heard plenty of Palestinians say that they want to coexist peacefully with Israel, that Israel has a right to exist. Again, the PA under Abbas seems to be negotiating in good faith, or at least, there hasn't been significant violence from that quarter in some time. Hamas certainly seems to be relentless in their opposition to the very existence of Israel. I suspect most of the people living in Gaza would be happy enough to just not be fighting anymore. Of course, they don't seem to be in charge.
They voted Hamas. Hamas wants the destruction of Israel. This is what I mean by collective Palestinian side.
And this was after Israel left Gaza for peace.
I'd like to think that human nature is peaceful and humans collectively seek peace. But lets not forget the hatred that is instilled not only in Islamic teachings, but especially in the middle east against Jews and Israel.
Hmm. I guess it's a matter of semantics, but I wouldn't assume that the majority of Gazans voted for Hamas primarily because Hamas wants the destruction of Israel. Certainly many did.
Ask Palestinians why they voted for Hamas in 2006, and an overwhelming majority will tell you it's more due to disillusion with Fatah (especially Abbas' dialogue with Israel yielding no positive results) than adherence to Hamas' values. Israel has its own share of responsibility for the rise of Hamas. Why they were so harsh with Abbas, I will never understand.
Ask Palestinians why they voted for Hamas in 2006, and an overwhelming majority will tell you it's more due to disillusion with Fatah (especially Abbas' dialogue with Israel yielding no positive results) than adherence to Hamas' values. Israel has its own share of responsibility for the rise of Hamas. Why they were so harsh with Abbas, I will never understand.

That, and disadvantaged people are easily bribed. As Spicer has mentioned several times, Israel could redirect some of their investment from military escalation to humanitarian aid with peace as a dividend. But that's a difficult position to take when you've promised your citizens heavy-handed reprisals against the enemy.
Yeah, especially when Israel sends aid and the Palestinians use it to rebuild their own military:
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/humanitarian-aid-to-...

And despite this, aid to Gaza is up 900% this year from Israel.
Christian Zionists - USA waiting for the holocaust!
Nakba happened during and after the Arabs decided to have a war with the Jews in 1948. If the Arabs accepted the partition, nobody would have had to move. I'm not saying there still wouldn't be tension, and there were some Jewish groups that wanted less Arabs in the Jewish part of the partition right from the start, but we will never know what they would have done. So as history stands, it was the Arab nations that warred with Israel that are to blame for the fact the Palestinians moved in 1948.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service