Correct me if i'm wrong, but in its essence, God or any deity came from religion right? So if you don't believe in religion why believe in god? The reason why i'm asking because my cousin believe that god exist (agnostic but refuses to say he is) through meditation i believe, even though he believe in zero religion.

Sorry if this was asked already.

Views: 70

Replies to This Discussion

There is such a thing as believing in a god without religion. They are called Deists.
Oh okay, didn't know that, i'm not saying they are wrong, or right. My main point is why believe in something (God) that came from what you reject (religion). I tried to look it up, but thought maybe someone can point me to a good place that explains and show the first signs of civilization bringing up god without religion.
Well, that's if they believe that the god doesn't interact with the world anymore. It just made the universe and left. If the person just believes in god it would be a Theist.
I also think that it's possible for a person to believe in god as a theist. They can believe that god is an active being in the universe who while not interested or knowledged in human affairs does keep the universe in check.
Agnostics don't believe in a god or deity; but they don't believe that one doesn't exist either.

The word comes from Gnostic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism) which itself means knowledge with the "A" modifier meaning without.

Hence we have Theist and A-Theist (atheist) and Gnostic and A-Gnostic (agnostic).

Neither one is really absolute and there are degrees of belief (or not) in all labeled forms.

I call myself a Secular Humanist or Level 6 Atheist (occasionally, Sixth) depending on who is asking. Level 6 on Dawkin's scale is the highest level of disbelief which still accepts the possibility (however unlikely) that there may be a higher power. This is the furthest we can possibly go without going into a belief system since we cannot prove a negative.

Werner Heisenberg made this during the Copenhagen conference of physicists back in 1920-odd, when he demonstrated that we can know the position OR speed of an elementary particle but not both at the same time. Nature has a way of keeping just a few secrets locked away - perhaps forever.

Religions don't need supernatural gods either; the Egyptians worshiped their pharaohs as if they were earthy gods.

With all this going on there's little wonder people get confused...
Thank you so much for the response.
just to throw this in here i was under the impression that the word "atheist" was derived from the ancient greek word "Atheos" which means "Without God's"

i may be wrong but i just felt like throwing this in here
That makes it the same as the equivalent, theism. Whichever word 'theism' derived from, just stick the greek prefix 'a-' on the front, and there you go.

What I really love is this gibberish I've heard from some Christians that we worship Athena, because the word derives from that, according to them.
My understanding of the word "atheist" is that it is, as with many words, used for multiple meanings. Some distinguish atheists as having two sub-groups: Those who actively believe that there is no god, and those who believe that no evidence exists for a god (or gods, or goddesses) but that one could conceivably exist. I fall into the first group, in the same sense that I actively disbelieve in trolls and goblins, though no perfect proof exists of their non-existence.
i never understood this. my mom is the same way. she always says that she dosnt have a religion and that she dosnt belong to one certain denomination... she just has a relationship with god? how is that possible?
a personal relationship with god or jesus, and claiming not to belong to any religion seems to me to be the latest fad among christian believers, its a way of not having cake and eating it too.
Cake is full of sugar and gives you diabetes.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service