Why Atheists Can't Be Republicans

CJ Werleman's just published  Atheists Can't Be Republicans.

That atheists are secularists is one reason why atheists can’t be member of today’s Republican Party.

The Grand Old Party (GOP) is ... a theocratic sponsor,...

Atheists can’t be Republicans because the economic and social policies of the Republican Party have been proven abjectly false and dangerous. Much in the same way religion is false and dangerous. In other words, atheists who cling onto modern U.S. conservative ideology are hanging onto ideas that have either been proven mythical at worse or remain unproven at best. If atheists applied the same litmus test to their political ideology as they do to theology, then clearly an atheist cannot be a Republican.

Atheists are the fastest growing minority in the country. We now have the critical mass to shape elections and policy. Were atheists able to establish a monolithic political demographic, one that is based on proven economic and social policies, then our potential political power would translate into saving this country from the clutches of the American Taliban and Wall Street.

On the other hand, the author also says,

... I have come in contact with as many idiot atheists as I have with idiot Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Tags: Atheism, politics

Views: 1283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What I like to do is focus on commonalities instead of differences.  No matter what Party an individual supports, there is common ground between all of us.  
Every activist who lobbies the government for something, no matter whether liberal, conservative, etc. is competing with much more powerful players than themselves.  Their elected representatives are more beholden to those who put them in office than the actual constituents they are bound by law to serve.
Politics is corrupt because politicians need money to run for office.  They need fees to compete in certain debates.  They need money for billboards, commercials, travel costs, etc.  
Regular individual citizens simply can’t compete with the vast amount of money that a large corporation can donate to a political candidate, whether that corporation is donating for a liberal or conservative agenda.
My idea is that all activists, even those who have opposing viewpoints, should temporarily join forces to get money out of politics.  A daunting task, I know.  But think about how many activist groups there are, each lobbying for their own individual causes.  If each activist group united, could you imagine how powerful a force it could be?  Even if 50 percent of them joined forces, it could make a serious and effective change.

Hi, New Atheist. I agree; getting money out of political campaigning has to be a goal.

People who become active soon learn its importance, but if they become partisan their main priority might become beating the other party by all available means.

I've found that the people most likely to help are those who are seeking substantive change (for or against a bill or policy), such as environmentalists.

However, I found too that persuading them to add procedural change (money, secrecy, etc) to their priorities requires some persuasion.

If you're in the US of A, does your state constitution have initiative and referendum provisions?

About 25 states do, most of them western states. Many eastern states don't. With initiatives, people can get reform without its being blocked by corruption in legislatures.

I doubt that Congress can be reformed without a national initiative and referendum amendment in the US Constitution.

Any thoughts?

Old but still relevant: The Daily Weasel "Rules for Being a Republican" (archived at the Wayback Machine).

A few bits:

1. You must believe that being a drug addict is a moral failing and a crime - unless you're a millionaire right wing radio personality; then, it's an "illness" and requires prayer for "recovery".

2. You must believe that those born to privilege achieve success all on their own.

3. You must believe that folks who work for their money should be taxed at a higher rate than those who inherit theirs.

4. You must agree that racking up huge amounts of debt to future generations is worth the few thousand extra in tax breaks you give to your wealthy "investors."

7. You must believe that pollution is ok, so long as it's profitable.

8. You must support prayer in schools, as long as no one is allowed to pray to Allah or Buddha.

9. You must believe that "Standing Tall for America" means firing your workers and moving their jobs to India.

10. You must believe that a woman cannot be trusted with decisions about her own body, but that large multi-national corporations can be trusted to make decisions affecting all mankind with no regulation whatsoever.

11. You must love Jesus and believe that Jesus loves you, and that He shares your hatred of the poor, homosexuals, and the Clintons.

Corollary / commentary on the above:

You know your god is man-made when he hates all the same people you do.
-- from Usenet

Yup!

Or as I've seen it on a Nancy Lebovitz calligraphic button:

"If you find God hates the same people you do, you may have created him in your own image."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service