Why Atheists Can't Be Republicans

CJ Werleman's just published  Atheists Can't Be Republicans.

That atheists are secularists is one reason why atheists can’t be member of today’s Republican Party.

The Grand Old Party (GOP) is ... a theocratic sponsor,...

Atheists can’t be Republicans because the economic and social policies of the Republican Party have been proven abjectly false and dangerous. Much in the same way religion is false and dangerous. In other words, atheists who cling onto modern U.S. conservative ideology are hanging onto ideas that have either been proven mythical at worse or remain unproven at best. If atheists applied the same litmus test to their political ideology as they do to theology, then clearly an atheist cannot be a Republican.

Atheists are the fastest growing minority in the country. We now have the critical mass to shape elections and policy. Were atheists able to establish a monolithic political demographic, one that is based on proven economic and social policies, then our potential political power would translate into saving this country from the clutches of the American Taliban and Wall Street.

On the other hand, the author also says,

... I have come in contact with as many idiot atheists as I have with idiot Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Tags: Atheism, politics

Views: 1176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correct Joan.
As for stealing, people who listen to news, as opposed to Faux news, know that corporations steal more than the poor could ever concieve of. Corporate welfare is stealing billions. The poor couldn't begin to steal at the rate of the rich.

Joan, thanks for the pics. The second one stirs a question: do you think it best if taxes are hidden?

I ask, not because I have any sympathy for conservative positions, but because taxes on business income are added to the retail prices of the goods and services these businesses, including corporations, sell.

I agree with Michael Moore that corporations are sociopaths and the law should treat them as such, but customers of businesses big and small, incorporated or not, pay these taxes at the cash register. Few know they are doing so.

Taxes are necessary; I don't want them hidden from the people who pay them.

What are you saying Tom?   That businesses should not be taxed?..If they were not  the  burden of  taxes  would  be put on  every  working American  to make up the difference...Sure customers  probably  pay  higher  prices  when  taxes  go up on a business  but  that is  the  price  of doing business....That  is  how it works....Same  with  minimum  wage...when it goes up so do  prices....that is how  a capitalist  system  works...We may not  like it  but  we end up paying  up  and  life goes on....By the way  taxes  do  help us all  in many  ways  so it is not meant  to punish us.....When the Tea party  says  Cut  taxes....It  sounds  great  but  then  services  get  cut and our  way  of life  is  effected because  nothing  gets  done.....We just  have to suck it up  and  pay it...

Freethinker, thanks for your speedy post, BUT I DID NOT SAY BUSINESSES SHOULD NOT BE TAXED. I SAID THEIR INCOME SHOULD NOT BE TAXED. Do tax them for government services, such as fire and police protection.

Am I reading your post as you intend. that taxes should be hidden from we who pay them and we should just suck it up and pay them?

But businesses should not be taxed and individuals should not be taxed either. And most of the government does not need to exist. I would eliminate the department of energy, the environmental protection agency, department of education, NASA, the federal bureau of land management, the department of housing and urban affairs, SNAP (food stamps), WIC, home energy assistance, NOAA, and is am sure there are other ways the government could cut expenses and quit stealing from us. If people want to start private organizations which would provide charity and make money from donations or fundraising without just steeling from us, that would be fine.

What we need is a massive jobs program such as Roosevelt put into place before the WW II began, and Eisenhower's highways program after the war. They put many unemployed workers to work after the Great Depression and after the austerity experienced during the war. 

Borrowing or printing money for massive projects to put people to work meant workers would have wages to spend on goods and services. It included educating people for new and more complex jobs, who could find better jobs than flipping hamburgers or washing dishes. 

We very badly need to get off fossil fuels and convert to renewable and sustainable energy sources. Many jobs could be created, many small businesses could be started and they are the real job-creators. More people working for wages, more $ circulating and everyone benefits. 

I am very sure that I am politically approximately an Ayn Randist/ objectivist / libertarian or small government conservative. I do not want the government to fix social problems. Fixing social problems is best left to social workers working on their own or with private organizations that have to earn their own money. A lot of liberals like to whine about how unfair it is that some people earn more money than other people. If you want more money you have to use more brain power, work more, and / or work smarter. People don't need their parents to tell you how to operate their businesses and people do not need a government hanging over them like a parent or religion telling them what to do. The higher the minimum wage is, the less people that can be employed. You are thinking like a liberal or a poor person. Try really hard to think like a rich person or small government conservative or business owner or Ayn Randist.
Liberalism is like religion. The liberals tell you about all these so called social and environmental problems, and then the libels they tell you how they have the solutions, so you better vote for liberal democrats or the Green Party or some brand of liberals, if facts and logic matter, otherwise you are wrong, evil, and so on.

Oh, yes. Do we remember NASCAR? Every now and then you meet someone who will tell you their "likes." For example, beer, bar-b-que, and NASCAR.

"There they go now (motor noises) and they are coming into the first turn." (More motor noises) "Here they go again making a left turn." (Motor noises again) "Now they are making another left turn."

It never excited me much. Just an endless event of left turns.

I'd say no one can become a republican (or democrat for that matter). The notion of allying to one of two parties is ridiculous. As a best fit for something so important it's not fit for purpose. If anyone is so politically unsophisticated that they are able in all honesty to say "here's a list of 500 policies and I agree with all of them" then they're doing it wrong.

I am unique, and so is everyone else, Choosing a political allegiance in such a ham-fisted way is little different to using astrology to plan your life. We should be asking for proper digital democracy and acting more like individuals, not subscribing to and perpetuating a political mob mentality.

Incumbents who are assured of re-election are dangerous.

I'm happy that more people are registering as independents, especially if their states have open primary elections. It increases voters' bargaining power.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Bethany Ransom updated their profile
34 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
36 minutes ago
EducationIsCool posted a video

The Responsibility of Atheists

This video argues for the necessity of the youtube & broader atheist community and what is, in my mind, the biggest responsibility of atheists on youtube and...
40 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Hiram's blog post "Against the Charlatans" Philodemus quote
1 hour ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
2 hours ago
Čenek Sekavec replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The cost of masculine crime
2 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
2 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to Brent Feeney's discussion BRUTALLY HONEST: The Dirty Truth About Capitalism and Free Markets
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service