Why Atheists Can't Be Republicans

CJ Werleman's just published  Atheists Can't Be Republicans.

That atheists are secularists is one reason why atheists can’t be member of today’s Republican Party.

The Grand Old Party (GOP) is ... a theocratic sponsor,...

Atheists can’t be Republicans because the economic and social policies of the Republican Party have been proven abjectly false and dangerous. Much in the same way religion is false and dangerous. In other words, atheists who cling onto modern U.S. conservative ideology are hanging onto ideas that have either been proven mythical at worse or remain unproven at best. If atheists applied the same litmus test to their political ideology as they do to theology, then clearly an atheist cannot be a Republican.

Atheists are the fastest growing minority in the country. We now have the critical mass to shape elections and policy. Were atheists able to establish a monolithic political demographic, one that is based on proven economic and social policies, then our potential political power would translate into saving this country from the clutches of the American Taliban and Wall Street.

On the other hand, the author also says,

... I have come in contact with as many idiot atheists as I have with idiot Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Tags: Atheism, politics

Views: 1200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The less well off  Republicans ought to be angry with the rich Republicans....

Those less-well-off Repubs would be angry if their leaders -- political and religious -- weren't stoking their fears of immigrants who will take their jobs, their fears of gays who will take their children, their fears of non-believers who will take their opiate, and conservative men's fears of independent women.

When I was learning political activism, another activist told me that political slogans have a purpose, to shut down the thinking.

Slogans that stir fear of the future motivate conservatives. Slogans that stir anger at the past or present motivate progressives. And slogans that stir guilt at their comfort motivate liberals.

Seneca's warning -- Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful -- can be adapted to emotions. I'm working on how to state it.

The most significant achievement of conservatives is the reduction in union membership over the last fifty years. As union membership has declined dramatically so has the middle class share of income:

Thanks for the pic. I remember hearing in the 1980s that both Dem and Repub policies encouraged manufacturing jobs going overseas.

I didn't know if the claims were accurate, but I had years earlier decided that money corrupts both parties.

In my not-very-humble opinion, reform requires a national initiative and referendum, which requires an amendment to the Constitution.

The main impetus for jobs going overseas has been profit—using lower paid foreign workers increases profits. American workers cannot compete since the cost of living is so much higher here.

If you want the maximum number of manufacturing jobs in the u.s, eliminate the minimum wage and reduce or eliminate taxes on manufacturers, eliminate health insurance laws, and have as few regulations as possible. Otherwise is is likely to be most cost effective to have so many goods manufactured overseas.

Profit is not evil and Money is not evil. You do work, you earn money, you trade your money for goods and services you want and need. Business owner's motive for operating a business is to earn a boatload of money and the more the government steals from business owners in the form of taxes and regulations, the less motive they have to operate their businesses and the less ability they have to employ people and the less their businesses can produce and the higher the prices for consumers is. It makes no sense to inhibit employer's ability to make enough profit while at the same demanding that they have to provide so many jobs and furthermore pay a minimum wage and provide so many benefits and still charge a low enough price to consumers.

Otherwise it is likely to be most cost effective to have so many goods manufactured overseas.

You're right, Michael; in some Asian countries there is no minimum wage, few or no taxes on manufacturers, no health insurance laws, and few or no regulations.

Before America's brief progressive era in the late 1800s and early 1900s, the near slave-labor conditions you favor existed here. Working people in those Asian nations will fight for and win what working people in America fought for and won.

You seem unaware that America's predatory capitalism is now slowly but inevitably effecting its demise here.

You also seem unaware that political democracy has in some countries replaced, and in other countries is replacing, political tyranny.

Similarly, economic democracy has in some countries replaced, and in other countries is replacing, economic tyranny.

Michael, you seem unaware of so much, including that the economic Libertarianism you admire occupies history's trash can.

You nailed it Tom!
Are you part of a union, do you earn only minimum wage and would you earn more or less money if all these laws and regulations suddenly went away?

Michael, I'm a combat veteran of one of America's wars. I'm also retired from the computer industry.

Have you done anything to earn the freedoms you have -- the freedoms you would deny others?

Yes I have. I make library catalog records for a living and then my company spends money on me and then I get whatever is left after the government steels what you are happy they steel, and then somehow I still don't need to steel from people in the form of food stamps or whatever other government assistance there is.

Tom, as usual, you state it clearly, concretely, precisely and wisely. 

Michael, If you want manufacturing jobs in the U.S. and eliminate minimum wage, and reduce or eliminate taxes on manufacturers, and eliminate health insurance laws, and have as few regulations as possible, you will have a country of exploited workers who do not share in the profits from producing the goods and services that U.S. consumers want.

You will have a working class who is unable to afford the products they make.

Unsafe working conditions put workers at unnecessary risks, such as the The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in New York City, March 25, 1911.

Hiring children because they are cheaper or because they are small would result in Child Labor conditions before 1916 and child coal miners.

Because there are more workers than there are jobs, wages are forced down. Legislation is necessary to insure a living wage for workers, especially when workers produce great profits for owners. With production jobs going to parts of the world with excess workers, U.S. owners can hire workers for far less money than U.S. workers receive, with fewer safety regulations, fewer benefits, and fewer health regulations on the products. 

If profits are taxed at a lower rate than payroll taxes, owners of profitable businesses do not share in the taxes necessary to maintain the national defense, investments in infrastructure, on education, in addition to interest on the debt. Payroll taxes as a whole are regressive:  they collect a higher percentage of total earnings from lower-income workers than higher-income ones.

The sources of federal tax revenue are individual income taxes, payroll taxes, and corporate income taxes; other sources of tax revenue include excise taxes, the estate tax, and other taxes and fees. Wealth is much easier to hide than wages, and capital is taxed at a lower rate than labor

Of course, profit and money are not evil! What is evil, unjust, unfair, immoral, corrupt, and destructive is the role of money in buying access to political power. A republic requires representatives who represent the people. What USA has become is a republic with representatives who represent money interests. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service