Why Atheists Can't Be Republicans

CJ Werleman's just published  Atheists Can't Be Republicans.

That atheists are secularists is one reason why atheists can’t be member of today’s Republican Party.

The Grand Old Party (GOP) is ... a theocratic sponsor,...

Atheists can’t be Republicans because the economic and social policies of the Republican Party have been proven abjectly false and dangerous. Much in the same way religion is false and dangerous. In other words, atheists who cling onto modern U.S. conservative ideology are hanging onto ideas that have either been proven mythical at worse or remain unproven at best. If atheists applied the same litmus test to their political ideology as they do to theology, then clearly an atheist cannot be a Republican.

Atheists are the fastest growing minority in the country. We now have the critical mass to shape elections and policy. Were atheists able to establish a monolithic political demographic, one that is based on proven economic and social policies, then our potential political power would translate into saving this country from the clutches of the American Taliban and Wall Street.

On the other hand, the author also says,

... I have come in contact with as many idiot atheists as I have with idiot Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Tags: Atheism, politics

Views: 1285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Reading the black conservatives Thomas Sowell and Shelby Steele, gave me more of an appreciation of conservative viewpoints. 

I doubt either of them are religious.  They certainly are not fundamentalist Christians

“There are homosexuals in the world, and they should not be excluded based on their sexuality. I draw the line at marriage.” - Shelby Steele

Can you think of a legitimate secular reason to make this statement? I can't, but I can think of many illegitimate religious reasons to make such an ignorant, discrimatory and intolerant statement.

I don't know Shelby Steele's views on that kind of issue.  There's a good deal of truth in what he says on the subject of race.

No, saying that about gay people does not imply he's religious. 

So far as I'm concerned if gay people want to marry that's fine.  Trying to prevent gay marriage is like trying to force gay men to fit the stereotype. 

But then, there are atheists who are opposed to marijuana legalization and in favor of laws against consensual crimes in general - which seems to me a position that's associated with theism.  It's the idea that consensual behavior is somehow the concern of other people. 

People who don't believe in God don't suddenly drop all religiously influenced ideas.

I've been searching for a long, long time for the person who can succinctly give the respectable, non-religiously affiliated reasoning for not supporting same sex marriage. I'm convinced that that justification is as elusive as god herself. In this country, considering everything that there is in the secular world that depends on a marriage certificate, and how population growth is surpassing available resources - not supporting same sex marriage is the same as openly supporting discrimination. If you have the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Well, Thomas Sowell had an interesting perspective.

In any case - viewing Republicans solely in terms of social conservatism is a caricature.  It's a way of picking out what you DON'T like, and using it to characterize the whole. 

There may be many Republicans who feel the party has been hijacked by the religious right - somehow the religious right become associated with traditional Republican issues like individual freedom, fiscal conservatism and free markets.

That's interesting all right. Calling marriage a "restriction", just to legitimize toeing the party line to discriminate against gays? Why not let them make the decision to "be restricted", just like how all their heterosexual brothers and sisters have allowed themselves to be? That is as transparently discriminatory as I have come to expect from the GOP. It's shit like that will keep them from ever occupying the White House again. Americans are not that stupid.

Again - you are concentrating on the socially conservative aspects of Republicanism - and not on what about the Republican positions is valid.  It's a caricature, because you and others concentrate on what irks you - but not on what is valid or what is there to learn from, in what Republicans say. 

You asked for arguments against gay marriage, but perhaps I should not have obliged, since I am not personally arguing against it.  But Thomas Sowell does make valid points in that article.

Those points are all overshadowed by the reality that conservatives want to bar gays from having the same freedoms that heterosexual couples have the freedom to choose or not choose. This isn't about same sex couples just being able to say they are legitimately married the same way as hetersexual couples are, it's about them being denied all the privileges and legal protections that come with that marriage certificate. You're not against same sex marriage, but I fail to see how you are so willing to waive off this glaring discontinuity in conservative ideology. It's not a menial issue. Tax paying citizens' lives and livelihoods are being significantly impacted by this issue.

Luara, I don't recall seeing a post in which you described what you find valid, or what you see to learn, in what Republicans say.

Did I miss it?

To put the issue of gay rights to marry in the same sentence with legalizing marijuana is a bit crass, don't you think? 

Joan, you can't argue with her.  It's like talking to a brick wall.  An obnoxious brick wall.

I'm not a member of either of the big 2 parties and personally can not see any difference between either party.  What is clear to me is that neither party has kept a single campaign promise in years.  My belief is that if you can not see what both parties are doing to this country, then their propaganda has done it's job!  Our governing bodies will break every law on the books to keep the gravy train running!  To anyone who thinks that all athiest must not be Republicans ...................I say wake up!  The two party system is a full of illusion designed to distract your attention!  (Oceans 11) It's a looky-loo!...!......... When you should be thinking about your constitutional rights as citizens, your distracted by the outrage overwhich party did what??  I think we should stop being Asses or Elephants and start being concerned citizens!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service