Why aren't people required to swear on the Constitution in court?

Pretty simple question. Why should the bible be used?

I would much rather swear on the Constitution myself.  

Tags: Bible, Constitution, court, judicial, law, system

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In most swearing-in ceremonies the phrase: "Do you swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States" is a part of it.  Why not swear in with your hand on a copy of the Constitution?  It's also part of the military's swearing in. There are other parts of the swearing-in that refer to the specific duties of an office but are secondary to upholding the Constitution.

A significant portion of public officials could be charged with failing to adhere to that part of the oath of office. 

Yes, though in the military oath is the (optional) "so help me God," which I omitted every time I re-enlisted.

Like I omit "under god" in the Pledge or are you given that option?

In which branch of the military did you serve?  I did four years in USAF as a lowly AGE repairman.

Pat has the legal take on this subject, and you have an important question here. I would like to see bible swearing removed myself. It gives importance to a book of fiction.

John J Kelly wrote:

>> Like I omit "under god" in the Pledge or are you given that option?

>> In which branch of the military did you serve?  I did four years in USAF as a lowly AGE repairman.

I served seventeen years in the US Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician; I was medically retired when I developed epilepsy.

In December of 2012 I was appointed to fill a vacant seat on my village board of trustees (city council). Nebraska has it in the state constitution that one must swear to "a deity," but when I informed the village I was an atheist and would not be making such an oath, he went to the state government with it. The state decided to "allow" me to make a "solemn affirmation" rather than an oath, bypassing the state constitution and mooting any possible case I might have against challenging the state statute.

At every board meeting since, I have said the Pledge of Allegiance in its original form as written by Rev. Francis Bellamy (that is, without the Under God part). There has been no protest by the other board members nor populace of the town.

All the other board members urged me to run for re-election, as have many of the people in town. They are more concerned with having an involved city councilmember rather than a religious one.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service