This question was asked before by another member of Atheist Nexus who, unfortunately, left the site about 6 months ago. When he left, his discussions went with him. (I hate that about Ning.) That is too bad, really, because that topic received more responses than any other discussion thread on A|N that I have ever seen -- well over 400, I believe.

Well, I don't plan on leaving A|N anytime soon, so I'm going to ask that question all over again. We've had a lot of new members since the first time, so this will be a good chance for all the new faces, and some of the old, to vent once again about why they are single.

So, why are you single?

Tags: atheist singles, companionship, dating, lovers, partners, romance, single, singles

Views: 2215

Replies to This Discussion

Idaho Spud,
I wonder how many foolish people tried this and it was successful.

Idaho Spud,
Here is a funny yet chilly anecdote that happened at work today. I went to the bathroom (it's laughable how most of this stuff happens in there) and while I was in there I overheard a conversation between two coworkers. Both of the coworkers are deeply religious nonetheless the second one is MORE religious. She says "praise the lord" at EVERY single mundane event. Today they were discussing the first person's hypertension problem. The first one stated she was having problems with her medication. The second one claimed that she didn't trust ANY doctor's diagnosis. She goes to the lord for the answer instead of trusting a doctor's diagnosis. She thought that doctor's don't know much as the lord. The second one stated she tried to stop taking her blood pressure medication but had to resume it due to her blood pressure rising. The second one told her all she needed to do was PRAY on it! It's the freaking 21st century (I think) and people STILL believe that prayer is a reliable and powerful cure. This scares me because it's people like those two who infect people with their jargon and cause people to become more ill.

Harridan20,

It scares me also.  If they would keep their stupidity to themselves, I would say great!  But, their infection of others eventually negatively impacts me and those I care about.

They should be in mental institutions. They sound like borderline faith healing believers. I've known people like that. They let people die before they trust a doctor in really extreme cases, including children.

I'd say let natural selection take care of it, but you're right: they're not just keeping their insane beliefs to themselves. They're proselytizing and encouraging others to adopt their anti-science and anti-reason attitude. And still this is considered "protected speech"!!

Shannon,

It seems the childfree are reaching great numbers however so are the parents and the pressure. There is still a false belief that being childfree and single is easy. I'm often told that I couldn't possibly have that much to do because I don't kids.

I am told I must have an easy life because I am single, have a degree, and have no kids. HA! I have an Associate's in IT. I am also obviously gay in SC, so my income is a series of freelance jobs while I try to move before my family remodels this house. I am under an enormous amount of pressure. 

I refuse to have kids. I don't want them, I don't like them, I don't need them. That doesn't mean I am carefree or irresponsible, though.

Umm, that's not an explanation for why you're single. If you had a woman who wanted to have sex with you and not a relationship, you'd still be single. ^.^

I don't think it is referring to monogamous. "friends with benefits" is just that: a friendship. It is not a relationship. You can see other people, you have no obligation to one another, etc..you just happen to have physical relations as well.

Monogamous is only one kind of relationship. There are plenty of poly/open relationships where the primary partners are just as committed.

Craigslist has  plenty of skanks and hookers. They'll want money, you'll get sex.

And you'll still be single.

In other words, you are single because you choose to be single. :)

Eh, I wouldn't be that harsh about it. Nothing wrong with sex for the sake of sex, if that's what both parties are looking for.

Nothing wrong with it, no, I was just making the point that he'd still be single even if he did find a woman who is ok with nothing but sex.

sorry, my snark.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service