Why are you interested in issues surrounding animal welfare?

What first sparked your interest?

Do you see a difference between animal welfare and absolute animal rights, as some people do?

What have you done to be more humane?

(Note: Title of post was changed on 8/15 to make my English more better.)

Tags: animal rights, animal welfare, animals, compassion, empathy, humane

Views: 276

Replies to This Discussion

Because humans aren't the only ones living on this planet.

I think I've always been interested on some level. When I was little my mom only wanted me to watch educational television, meaning I spent a lot of time watching Wild Discovery on the Discovery Channel, and ever since then I've felt a strong connection to animals. Though I must warn you, I'm not a vegan or a vegitarian. Maybe it's because nearly all the wildlife documentaries I watched focused on predators.

Do you see a difference between animal welfare and absolute animal rights, as some people do?
I don't believe in absolute animal rights.

I just try to stay informed and treat animals as kindly as possible.
Why are you interested in issues surrounding animal welfare? / What first sparked your interest?

I was born with dogs. One of our dogs adopted me when I was an infant and decided to protect me, a giant Bouvier named Nikki. She'd wrap her big hairy body around me and lick the top of my head. My first word was her name, and the smell of dogs strikes me the way the smell of a blanket strikes other kids. Ever since then, dogs at least come up to me out of nowhere. Even when I lived abroad, out in the woods once, an Australian sheep dog spied me from a hundred yards off, ran up to me and sat on my feet (got a photo of it).

But snapping turtles always freaked me out.

I've also watched family farms, where the family knew the cows by names and most of the other animals, give way to horrifying corporate cruelty factories. Sometimes I feel like people should be zapped with a stun gun when leaving a grocery store and forced to wade through raw sewage through the parking lot, to mirror what most of the factory farm livestock experienced before they ended up packaged in some IGA plastic bag.

If as above we're talking the difference between humane rights vs. absolute rights for animals, I'd refer to my earlier response about hunting. It seems to me that with the country we have now -- 300+ million people, limited land, etc. -- absolute rights for all animals would doom them to terrible deaths of wasting away from preventable diseases and starvation. Until we can manage our own human population more effectively, I feel like animal welfare is the most reasonable way to go. So for fuck's sake, spay and neuter your beasts!

Both my my beagles are rescues. They get 2-3 hours of walks a day, and I've trained them so they can go off-leash and not stray on a scent without getting me first. We donate to a no-kill shelter and beagle rescue, and patronize a goodwill store where the proceeds go to the shelter. Rescued plenty of other dogs as well. Helped rehab rabbits and birds and squirrels that were nabbed by cats. Helped save a drunk raccoon that fell into a dumpster and woke up pissed (he got my peanut butter and honey sandwich). Ate lunch with a tame squirrel nearly every day one summer when it just jumped up on my picnic table; the squirrel wore a collar; I shared my apple. Then I had to repair all the screens he ripped every afternoon (it was my job that summer.) Carried a 100 lb black lab nearly a mile down the highway after it was hit my a tow truck in the middle of the night, got it to an animal hospital, and it lived. Last week got a snapping turtle back to a creek after a fox bit through its arm. About to take Booker and Murphy out for their final walk of the night, but Murphy's trying to bury herself in a quilt instead.
Because everyone deserves to be treated fairly no matter what his or her species.

I've always felt a closer connection with animals than humans. I don't know if there's something wrong with me or what, but I have a difficult time dealing with people most of the time. Animals are easier. They don't judge, they don't mock, and they don't expect anything of me.

Yeah, sort of. I don't see anything wrong with using animal products, or asking them to help us, e.g., pulling carts, guarding our homes, etc. So I'm not for absolute animal rights, but I do think we owe it to them to improve their lives.

I am a member of my local humane society; I do what I can to help, though that isn't much at the moment. Mostly it's a mindset rather than actions, but I get involved as much as possible.

In my opinion the answer to why care about animals is broader than the question itself and is founded in free will. Some people freely choose to be altruistic and others freely choose not to be. Those who freely choose to be so cannot, in a manner consistent with their choice, freely ignore the feelings of something that is innocent whether it is a so called lower life form or not. On the other hand those who freely choose not to be so cannot, in a manner consistent with their choice, freely care about the feelings of something that is innocent even if it is human. The situation is as simple as that. The underlying dynamic is simply what type of value system a person has freely opted for. Those who care about animals but would eat them to saves themselves are not making the choice independently from duress. Their free choice is still to be altruistic. I never cease to be amazed when I learn that a video has gone viral simply because it is founded in the choice of altruism. I think most people have freely chosen altruism but, in being subject to duress, do not always make choices that are consistent with it.  

When I was little, I would bring home stray cats, dogs, and children...lol. I brought little girls with lice home for my mon to fix them;;;lol

I have loved animals longer than I can remember. As for the animal welfare and animal rights, I am not sure what that means.

I do the best I can  to help animals. I am a member of ASPCA and a member of Kanes Krusade. That is a group that provides warm housing for animals that are kept outside. I HATE to see animals outside all the time...but at least some will get warm housing.

Here is a link to Kanes Krusade :O)

http://www.kaneskrusade.org/

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service