im just looking to learn 

me i am because I am very intelligent and i need to see something real and most of the few others that i have found that are atheist around here are the same 

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a "one-size-fits-all" aspect to most religious belief.

Because I'm curious. When you're curious, you seek knowledge and when you seek knowledge, fairy tales about gods no longer make sense.

i considerd myself an agnostic for quite a while, feeling that was the perfect position to take since we of course could not prove god does not exist. i see the error of that now, we also can't prove unicorns and the flying spaghetti monster don't exist.

It was watching debates by the late great Christopher Hitchens that brought me to embrace atheism. once you really begin to examine religion with a critical mindset you can see all the BS for what it is, how clearly man made it is, how it lives off fear and superstition and evils it drives people to once they become convinced that they are doing 'gods work'

i'm not just an atheist now but an anti-theist. its a poison of the mind and i really think that people would be better off without it, more free, more reasonable and less likely to buy into any dogma. 

Because religions promote hatred and plus I never really like the thought of heaven It like living in north korea for ever

I'm an atheist because I believe that social science shows us enough evidence that gods were invented by humans. Some consider that a philosophical claim, but I think it's a stretch to look at religions in society and history and say that one is not justified in claiming that humans were the inventors of gods from a social-scientific standpoint.

Saying something like this in a group of atheists isn't controversial at all, but everywhere else, even in college, it's not something people take kindly to. In a discussion about morality in the animal kingdom, Franz De Waal attempted to explain why people "invented gods" from a social science perspective and he was told that he had made a philosophical or metaphysical claim by a fellow researcher who happened to be a Christian. In other words he had stepped outside of the boundaries of his field I suppose. Though the word "invented" is avoided, it's obvious to me given what is known from cultural anthropology, psychology, and other areas of research that religion and gods are in fact social constructs. 

The invention of gods is not a metaphysical claim. It may,however, be a philosophical claim. Even so, when man invented his gods he was more superstitious than he is today.

Why am I atheist? My best answer here. One day I woke up.

Quite simply the absurdity of the accident of birth is how you end up being in a certain religion for the most part. You don't really need much more than that to realise the whole insanity of dedicating your life to an eye in the sky.

I am an Atheist because I was raised without religion.  I never got brainwashed.  As a child I was embarrassed for adults who talked about "god" and believed he/she/it was real.  I knew it was just like believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

I grew into it.  I had a religious upbringing.  After a while, it just didn't make sense anymore.  For a long while I talked myself into a belief in a divine being, calling myself a theist, and then an agnostic, and then non-religious and then, finally an atheist.  

I was raised a Southern Baptist, but by the time I became an adult I no longer believed in it.  For years I kept trying to force myself to believe, wandering thru several religions. Only recently I've come to accept the fact that I can no longer keep up the charade of trying to be a theist.

One thing that stuck with me over the years is that when I was a hobo back in 1984 I was one of several; thousand homeless people from all over the country whom a guru named Rajneesh invited to live at his commune in Oregon. What made the greatest impression on me was that the missions and homeless shelters were ranting and foaming at the mouth about how this evil "cult messiah" was luring people into his "cult", but in reality he was doing more to help the homeless than they were.  They feed and house them then turn them back out onto the street but he gave me a little cabin to live in. And he was an atheist, but he did more to help me than all the Christians and their talk about how Jesus loved me but didn't love me enough to get me off the street.

I began reading his books while I was at the commune, and at first I was a little bothered by his atheism, but I could not dismiss the fact that his atheistic beliefs led him to do more than the Christians' theistic beliefs did. His philosophy was based on Zen Buddhism, with elements from other religions mixed in, but it wasn't theistic. It taught that there was no personal God, but that mankind himself could be called divine and was all the god you were going to find in the universe. He freely used the word "God", but in the sense of the inherent divinity of man.

I eventually became one of his "Sannyasins" as he called his followers, and afterwards, when I left the commune, I tried to force myself back into the theistic mold that I didn't really fit into. I tried Christianity, Messianic Judaism, Islam, Vaishnava Hinduism and Quakerism, but after each one I kept returning to the philosophy of Rajneesh (who just before he died changed his name to Osho).

so recently I decided to stop trying to fit into religions at all, and just be an atheist and an Osho Sannyasin (which is not a religion, but a philosophy of life).

So after coming out as an atheist I joined the Atheist Nexus Facebook group and, following the link on that page, I came here, mainly so I could interact with other atheists and try to find my place in all of this.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Idaho Spud commented on DAN DANA's blog post RR Excerpt #11: Most Scientists Are Atheists
6 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
12 minutes ago
Brent Feeney replied to James M. Martin's discussion It Doesn't Take Long for this Racist Missouri Lawman to Blast Anyone Different from a Middle-Aged White Male
12 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
26 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan joined Sentient Biped's group
27 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
27 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Getting Speech Straight - "Homosexual" is not an LGBT-friendly term in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
29 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs in the group Justice For All
32 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan posted a discussion
34 minutes ago
Idaho Spud liked Grinning Cat's discussion Supreme Court increasingly accepting unverified "facts" from amicus briefs
37 minutes ago
Pat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion All of the christian religion in one tweet
39 minutes ago
Luara replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Getting Speech Straight - "Homosexual" is not an LGBT-friendly term in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
39 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service