Women all over the world are seen to be getting more and more active, even in areas which were said to be men's bastions. Why then are there far fewer women atheists compared to men? Are women more religious? Are they still dominated by their men? Or by religious authorities? Are they too busy in their domestic affairs or are they simply not concerned? What is it? 

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

Views: 3525

Replies to This Discussion

Please expalin your position. (Simone)

What does that have to do with anything.  Define "dress attractively"?

Growing up in the 50's and 60's it was 'appropriate' to dress up a bit for church. I don't exactly have the 'date' but all that stopped when churches began losing their congregations for various reasons.

Then, the preachers began changing their views some. Everyone was now welcome, not just those fancy dandy's that 'dressed the part' for Sunday's.

I was in Mexico about 5-years ago when I walked past a nice open-air Catholic church. The average temp year-round is 85-degrees so they don't have or require doors.

A sign out front said, "No tank tops or sandals inside'. Everyone was wearing tank tops and sandals! It was frickin 95-degrees! So, to my friend's chagrin I walked up those steps and directly went inside. Walked thru the entire place before the 'priest' a very old man came out to shoo me away. I verbally objected to his position (yes, he understood enough English to know what I was saying) of no tank-tops or sandals.

I told him he was eliminating 95% of the children of God (his God of course) due to his immature stance on the 'dress code'. All of God's children should be welcome in the house of the Lord. The look of amazement that came over his face! It was like he had never given this a single thought. He smiled and walked away. I also exited with a smile on my face.

Dress code my ass.

Funny, I never experienced any problem visiting any Mexican church wearing sandals.  But being dressed decently (covering enough of my body for the purpose of reducing the triggers to jerks' instincts to mistake me for prey), I got into lots of Greek churches, where others were rejected.  

It's not the Christian churches you can enter with tank tops and sandals that are the problem. It's the ones with sign saying stay out unless you're dressed they exqact way we want you to. the one I'm speaking of was in downtown Puerta Vallarta.

I wonder if Puerta Vallarta has some pretty interesting tourist garb? 

Well, let me explain...Most of my adult life I was a born-again christian. I attended church "religiously" and most of the women in every church I attended (New York and Florida), even in different denominations, always looked very pretty in their dresses, or blouses and skirts. Even when they wore pants, they wore dress pants and blouses, and of course, some make-up. In the past few years that I have become an atheist, I have searched hundreds and hundreds of "singles websites", just to see some "down to earth, real, atheist women" and most of them look weird. Why is that??? Please don't misunderstand me. I WANT to believe that there are some pretty atheist women out there. I just have not seen them on the Internet, that's all.

LOL, I bet you think they always look like that.  I know how to dress up as well.  Doesn't mean I clean the house in heels.

Where do you find these.  ROFLMAO

LOL!

I would be interested, too, if there were a difference between Christian and non-C.  For one thing, as a Christian woman, a high value is to please others and to obey. As an atheist, a high value may be utility and comfort.  Let me know if anyone finds any research.

If by "dress attractively" you mean remake their self concepts and bodies to please and attract men, rather than be authentic, it's likely because Christianity is Dominator culture, i.e. male power over female.

I rethought what counts as attractive in women when I went through the process of feminist consciousness raising. For example, yesterday in the doctor's waiting room I was reduced to reading magazines targeted to women. They were written as if feminism had never happened, all about wearing appalling 6 inch spike heels, make up, and uncomfortable, not-green fashion.

Attractive, Joe, is in the eye of the beholder. Would you wear "attractive" shoes if it got you laid?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service