Women all over the world are seen to be getting more and more active, even in areas which were said to be men's bastions. Why then are there far fewer women atheists compared to men? Are women more religious? Are they still dominated by their men? Or by religious authorities? Are they too busy in their domestic affairs or are they simply not concerned? What is it? 

MADHUKAR KULKARNI.

Views: 3525

Replies to This Discussion

And I mean that the need to have a real life close bonded committed companion does not imply that sexuality is the reason for this need.   The need for a companion is a need for emotional and intellectual intimacy.   Fulfilling a companion's physical needs is a form of thanking for his appreciation of my brain and of myself a an equal and important person.  

Correct, there are great differences in need for romantic love and sexual expression and it has nothing to do with age ... although some elders experience less desire for sex. It's kind of interesting to observe elders in nursing homes and the ways they get sexual satisfaction.  Even some Victorian old ladies put on quite a display   

Wait, I'm not pretty?! (Kidding, kidding!)

I don't think there's much of a correlation between physical attractiveness and beliefs, but if there is, I would think it to be because those who are physically attractive already get a lot of perks.  There is less of a need to challenge the status quo or the world around them because the current system - this shallow system where looks are prioritized - already works in their favor.  There is more incentive for them to think less and ride on the coattails of beauty toward success.

That said, I have a friend who is not only nontheist, an excellent conversationalist, funny, a drop-dead gorgeous professional model, a few weeks shy of her PhD...  But also very much taken.  Sorry, guys! ;)

Kacie - yes I was going to say that - most of the really attractive people are also very intelligent also - they usually have it all... contra to popular belief that geeks are unattractive and pretty women are dumb.....  and the rest of us are left mediocre in both departments or worse!

Hooray for mediocrity!

I don't know if most of the really attractive people are also very intelligent.  It seems to me to be an even mix.  Some have it all, some have none, some have one but not the other.  But, like you said, most of us are somewhere in the middle for both.

Well, Joe, If you want pretty women, go to church; lots of pretty smiles and sweet dispositions, obedient, submissive, supportive, forgiving, sweet hearts there.  If you want smart, informed, skeptical women, try free thinking, atheist, agnostic, skeptical, and independent women.  There are plenty of those around and you might find them ... adventuresome.

As to not seeing many pretty women, have you looked to see if there are many handsome men around?  Frankly, the handsome ones have seduction skills and tend to be self-centered, but when it comes to talking about important things like justice, compassion, responsibility, honor, decency, integrity, citizenship, intelligent discussion, they are not the handsome ones.  

So, find the cleanest and brightest ones and give them a whirl.  

Madhukar,

Some atheist women here, are saying that the most important thing for a woman is to have a good brain, and that being physically pretty is not important to a man??? A sense some jealousy and envy on their part.

As a matter of fact, I'm a little concerned, that I have YET to see ANY, really pretty atheist women on THIS site, or ANY other "atheist website". That is why I really believe, that there ARE beautiful atheist women out there, but they are all hiding behind "religion" because they are afraid to "come out", and that is a shame!

A sense some jealousy and envy on their part.

I do not consider myself a beauty, just an average looking person dressing as decently as possible.  But when I was in my 20s and travelling alone in some Mediterranean country, it happened more often than not, that I was sitting like on a bench in a park and a guy initiated contact with me.   I appreciated the chance to have some interesting talk about the country, people, politics or whatever.   It never took longer than half an hour, until it was clear that the jerk was not interested in my brain, but just wanted to lure me into bed.   I felt like puking from such insults, those jerks deserved to be castrated for their disrespect for women.    I was jealous of the women, who were left in peace and treated like humans and not like prey.   Being 62 has a lot of benefits, I am no more the target of such insults.  

It's not jealousy or envy, but merely a different viewpoint.  Do you really want to know why there are so few women on atheist websites - not atheist women in general, but those on the websites and in the real-life groups and meet-ups?  It's because atheist men were known for being sexist.  This is still somewhat true today, and it's because some atheist groups have a tendency to make women feel unwelcome that many atheist women, even if they are openly so, don't join the groups.  They're not all hiding behind religion; they just don't want to be here to take more chauvinistic crap from men.

Atheism in the past was a bastion for the rich white man who was so free of other discrimination factors that he could focus his attention on being a minority in thought.  He could also use his supposedly "more rational, more enlightened than thou" attitude to justify his outdated views towards women.  Basically, beautiful atheist women do not like hanging around a group of slavering dogs who would ignore intelligence in favor of breasts, that's why.

Basically, beautiful atheist women do not like hanging around a group of slavering dogs who would ignore intelligence in favor of breasts, that's why.

I disagree, because all average men drool so much over women's bodies, that I have never noticed this to be any worse in any atheist, freethinkers or skeptical group or forum.   

But if, as I assume, there is a general gullibility innate in the brain, that makes people more prone to false beliefs, then the false belief in the existence of a god, and the false belief in male superiority as created by the god should be related.   

all average men drool so much over women's bodies

Which is why I think many women, when they want to discuss intellectual topics, do so in a group of fellow women rather than out in the commons.

But if, as I assume, there is a general gullibility innate in the brain, that makes people more prone to false beliefs, then the false belief in the existence of a god, and the false belief in male superiority as created by the god should be related.

That makes sense.  But isn't it also harder to give up on a belief if hanging onto it allows one to capitalize on the privileges society has given you?  Many atheists reject the existence of gods and supernatural phenomena, but are still able to rationalize keeping other prejudiced beliefs.  God-created male superiority becomes "biologically proven" - and thus justified - male superiority, just as atheists in the past have said that evolutionary theory justifies colonialism and racism.

Which is why I think many women, when they want to discuss intellectual topics, do so in a group of fellow women rather than out in the commons.

While I am disgusted about the average drooling of men, I am very much needing to find one of the exceptions as a partner, someone who is gifted with the ablitiy to appreciate a woman's brain.  

But isn't it also harder to give up on a belief if hanging onto it allows one to capitalize on the privileges society has given you? 

You are right, when it comes to giving up privileges after having believed in the entitlement.   But when people are innately apistic, when they do not become atheists and egalitarians by giving up previous beliefs, when instead they have never been attracted to the false beliefs in either god or male superiority, then it can be different and an exception.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service