I'll comprimise. I don't like the term entirely, but it'll do. Just like there are pro-gun-rights and pro-gambling-rights (and there used to be pro-slavery-rights).

Is it just for the sake of disagreeing with the religious? Is it because they see being anti-abortion-rights as being a strictly religious viewpoint? Are anti-abortion-rights atheists worried about fitting in? Is it just a coincidence?

Tags: abortion

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hate to be one of those to cause more conflict! {not really, lol}
But my 2 cents are: I strongly disagree with the general idea of abortion, there are many methods to stop it getting to that point { the pill, morning after pill, rape kits, many many forms of contraception}
But I also believe that is my choice and opinion and everyone has the right to do as they wish and it is up to them to deal with the results of those choices.
so in short, I dont agree but believe that everyone has the right to have thair own choice in the matter if they wish to do So{ as in act upon termination of said cells/being} or not.
My views on Abortion do not stem from my Atheism, rather, it's simple math.

We have too many humans, not enough resources to go around.
It's the reason why I have no issue with abortion.
It's the reason I won't be having kids.

Simple.
Yeah...thats a good point. Many people dont like saying it bc it sounds callous, but it is true. Especially when the baby comes into a family that is lacking resources, or already has many children.
But does your use of logic over emotion stem from the same mindset that led you to Atheism?
"Why are so many atheists pro abortion rights?"

I have no way of knowing if that statement is true. If true,it's a correlation. I'm not aware of any evidence which makes a causal connection between atheism and any moral,ethical,political , ideological or medical position.

To characterise my own position as 'pro abortion' is emotive and misleading. For me, abortion is a medical issue,between patient and doctor,period.. Opposition to the procedure is based on religious beliefs. I become infuriated at those nincompoops trying to inflict their personal superstitions on society as whole .

SO: I'm pro choice.In my opinion abortion should not even be an issue. I am also pro life. By that I mean I oppose capital punishment and war. Those things involve the talking of human life and are moral issues. Abortion does not and is not.
oh thank you so much for bringing this up! as an atheist i have to say i think abortion is WRONG. taking a life is horrid no matter when, how, or what circumstances. there needs to be an honest debate as to when "life" begins, but either way i think terminating viable life simply out of preference is horrid.
"oh thank you so much for bringing this up! as an atheist i have to say i think abortion is WRONG. taking a life is horrid no matter when, how, or what circumstances. there needs to be an honest debate as to when "life" begins, but either way i think terminating viable life simply out of preference is horrid."

There is no such thing as 'an atheist position' on abortion or any other topic,except the non existence of god(s) You have expressed a personal opinion to which you are entitled but it has nothing to do with atheism.

That abortion is taking life is also a personal opinion I do no share. Your call for an 'honest debate' seems a little disingenuous,as such a debate has been raging for decades and in the US led to Roe vs Wade.IE the formal recognition that a foetus is not a person until it is viable ex utero.

I have no problem with your absolute personal moral value,it's your right. I have a HUGE problem with such a value being imposed on me or anyone else.

We differ at a fundamental level; I believe abortion is a purely medical issue between doctor and patient..The decision rests belong to the woman ALONE. It should not even be a legal or political issue. The opposing arguments are based on religious doctrine and personal moral views, not science.

Oh. I also reject absolute moral imperatives and all external moral authority. I recognise conscience as my only personal moral authority. I allow society and the law to dictate my behaviour for the common good.[ to a point]. I do not allow the law or others to dictate my beliefs on any matter, although I hope I remain sufficiently open minded to change my mind with evidence.
What about the father?

Obviously if it was rape he has no voice, but if they're in a normal relationship how much say do you think a man has in whether the fetus his partner carries lives?
"Obviously if it was rape he has no voice, but if they're in a normal relationship how much say do you think a man has in whether the fetus his partner carries lives? "

Are you addressing me? If so,I thought I made my position clear. viz;abortion is a medical decision between doctor and patient.

As far as I'm aware,in Australia, no third party has any legal rights in the decision to have or not have an abortion*.Recognition of any moral rights need to be agreed between the couple before the pregnancy. Tough luck if the pregnancy is unplanned.Of course the woman always has the legal right to change her mind.

*I assume common exceptions due to mental competency apply.
The father should not have any OFFICIAL say in whether or not a woman chooses to continue a pregnancy.

If your adult child one day comes home and starts beating the crapola out of you, should you have to wait until that child's biological father consents before you defend yourself?
It is a situation which doesn't have a compromise. It's reasonable for couples to talk it over, but ultimately if they still disagree, only one person has a say, and that person should be the one who is carrying it.

The best thing to do is talk it over before sex, so that if pregnancy does happen you don't suddenly discover one of you wants an abortion and the other is completely opposed.(But of course, do you think all the bar flies having one night stands will ever do that?)

However, since the woman has the choice in whether she wants to keep the baby, maybe the man should have a choice in paying child support.
I was curious how people felt. It's one of those things that's never really brought up.

It's always just assumed that the man bumped and left (which to be fair isn't unlikely). Naturally it's fair to think the decision is up to the woman, who carries the child and will more likely care for it, and of course I wasn't saying that a man can or should override an abortion. It's just another factor.

Say the couple is married, the man wants kids, the woman doesn't and aborts. You can't change either opinion but the woman will always win that one. Which I'm not saying is wrong or needs to be changed, but it is a sad part of it. I mean it's not a man's fault that he's not the one carrying the baby, theoretically he could be scarred by the loss.

I guess the main part that drives me insane is how pregnancy always has to be the woman's problem. It's partially a social thing but mostly a biological thing. Why can't we all reproduce like worms, or sponges or something? Intelligent beings with 2 sexes seems counter-intuitive.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service