I personally prefer Ron Paul but unfortunately he gave up. But know I have no choice but to choose Obama. What about you?

Views: 638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will be voting against Obama. His domestic policy is hurting the private sector middle class and moving us closer to a financial meltdown that will make the last one look tame in comparison. And his foreign policy is blowing up in the Middle East. He shuns our allies, but embraces those who are not our friends (Russia, for example - "Tell Vladimir I will be more flexible after this pesky election"). Otherwise I think he has been a GREAT president, and he has done an especially good job mending fences with the celebrity crowd. I was concerned that many were threatening to leave the country.  

What I really do not understand though, is the apparent hypocrisy by the "intellectual" elites on the subject of torture vs. drone assassination. Water boarding a handful of captured terrorists was supposed to be the great moral crime of this generation, but hardly a peep when we drop hundred(s) of predator drone bombs on people, including American citizens, and killing who knows how many innocents along the way. Not even a discussion. Do you think it could be a small part of the reason everyone in the Middle East (well 80% anyway) hates America ? Why has the percentage that hate us gone up under Obama ? What about the incessant gloating over the Bin Laden assassination ?  John Kerry at the convention - "Ask Bin Laden if he is better off now than four years ago?". Very funny. I am sure they are still laughing about that one in the Middle East. Just wait till the movie of the Bin Laden assassnation comes out in December.

I apologize for the rant, just frustrated with the direction our country is heading.

I completely agree..and I suspect you and I are the only 2 on this site. Obama has been an absolute failure as president...and the fact that Democrats cannot see that, or REFUSE to is amazing. Romney is no great choice, but giving him a chance like SO MANY did with Obama cannot be a worse choice than Obama. Middle East is turning into the worse nightmare in the world and he is yucking it up with Letterman instead. I really think he is less interested in being president and more interested in being a celebrity. At least he has a bright career ahead of him on the lecture circuit after this election...what people will pay to hear never ceases to amaze me.

All of the people I talk to are so scared of what a Mormon will do in office..or Paul Ryan as the far right christian he is. Well, here's the simple answer - NOTHING! No one has ever come close to reversing Roe v. Wade and will not attempt it now either. Just like pushing religion on the citizens. No one is going to pass laws that will force you to pray, or go to church..it's unConstitutional..scared of Supreme Court mandating something that is against the constitution.?? Well, that may be possible since they are all activists appointed by Obama..ignoring the constitution and mandating we buy items that we may not want..I could go on forever..ranting and raving and making no sense all the way..

2 party system sucks, but we will not get rid of it for at least another generation or 2..I have voted Libertarian many times, but I cannot sit by during this election cycle trying to stand on principle and make my own statement..I MUST VOTE OBAMA OUT, regardless of who that puts in..-FLAME AWAY.

Thank You for the reply. I was beginning to think I was a lone voice in the wilderness. I agree - we must get rid of Obama. Another four years and we will be so deep in ... you know - debt, among other things.  

I've voted Libertarian for many years now, and I'll still not vote for the lesser of two evils, unless someone can make a better argument for it than I've heard so far.

No offense to you guys.  You make some good arguments, but not convincing to me (yet?)

It appears to me that the Democrats and Republicans are taking away our liberty at about the same rate.  And I value liberty above all else.  So far, I don't see any way to get liberty by voting Democrat or Republican.

As far as Mitt's religion goes, I was brainwashed into that cult, and I'm still afraid of it.  

Jerry Wessner "Jay H, if you define "intimidated" as "far more scared of one outcome than the other," then yes. "

This is what they are counting on. This is why the party betrays you, because they CAN and they can GET AWAY WITH IT.

"And I fail to see how protest voting for a third party and thereby installing the far worse of the two evils accomplishes anything. And I said "many" of the worst policies; by no means all. Not enough difference, but some."

Well, I am not guilty of installing anyone. My vote has NEVER, EVER, changed the outcome of an election and it never will. But at least when I vote third party that's one more visible vote for 'none of the above'.

The Republicans want to regulate your sex life, the Democrats want to regulate everything else. Some choice.

Obama. Because FDR can't serve another term. But my Democrat vote doesn't count because I am in Alabama. Abolish the Electoral system! At least this time I have got four more people voting my way.

The major problem facing the country—the domination of the legislative and executive functions by lobbyists, preventing real solutions—cannot be dealt with effectively by either party since they are both dependent on campaign contributions. What's more, that same dominance prevents the rise of any third party to challenge them.

At this point the GOP has abandoned any pretence of working for anyone but the rich and powerful, so I have to go with the Democrats and Obama, but I don't see them capable of solving the economic problems either. Wall Street and the big banks are doing their best to gut any regulations on the financial industry and that is likely to lead to another crisis that will be worse. Glass-Steagall needs to be reinstated and fortified with new restrictions. Without a separation of investment and commercial banking, we are all at risk.

One of the many scary things about Romney is his serious (if that is not a contradiction in terms) Mormonism.As such he would swear greater fealty and loyalty to the Mormon Church than to the USA if elected President.So logically he would have to make decisions which had a precedence of being favourable to the Mormon Church over being favourable to the USA.

I'm not sure that is the case.  I'm no fan of Romney, but from what I've seen in interviews, he takes a view that what the Mormon church teaches applies to him, but is not for him to apply to everyone else.  For example, when he was pro-choice (and people thought John Kerry was a flip-flopper!), he stated that although the church was against abortion and he was personally against it, he would allow others to make their own choices.  Then he changed his opinion (and claimed the change was for secular reasons).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFkaCji-UDA

Good video exchange. I hope Romney gets this spirited in the debates.

Changing a position over time is not flip-flopping. If it was then Obama would be the biggest flip-flopper of the three (Kerry, Romney, Obama). "I was against the individual mandate, but am now in favor of it".  "I was for gay marriage when I was running as a liberal state senator in Illinois, against it when I was running for President, and now am for it as I run for re-election". This is pretty close to flip-flopping, but I will accept his "evolution" of position. You are allowed to change your position over time. If you want to define flip-flopping as changing a position than Obama wins the prize. (one more- "raising taxes in a recession is bad for the economy", now he wants to raise taxes even as we are dangerously close to another recession).  

I define 'Flip-flopping' as "I was actually for this legislation, before I was against it" a famous quote that hurt Kerry in his run against Bush. He was trying to position himself on both sides of the issue at the same time. To me - the time frame affects more whether somebody is flip-flopping (If Romney went somewhere today and said he was prochoice, and then the next day went somewhere else and said he was pro-life.)

I will vote for Obama.  As many point out. He's not a "perfect" expression of my needs or aspirations.  On the other hand, he's the closest I have.  Maturity requires that I not expect, or even want, "perfect".

My hope is that, freed of the need for another re-election, if he is re-elected this time, he will be able to achieve much more.  We'll see.  Maybe.

I agree, but much depends on the outcome of the battle for the Senate. Should the Senate go to the GOP and they retain the House, the script is written for another four years of stalemate. My best bet is that the Senate stays Democratic and the GOP loses some seats in the House, which could make them more agreeable to compromise.

Obama has been a good President on the whole—the stimulus, saving the auto industry, the healthcare law, and withdrawing from Iraq are all good things. He could be a better President in a second term, having learned a lot.

Romney wants to be CEO of the country and that is not what's needed. He has shifted too much to the right and might be a prisoner of the Tea Party if elected.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
45 minutes ago
jlaz replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
55 minutes ago
jlaz liked Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
56 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Ian Mason commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to chares martel's discussion The benefits of flushing Religion
2 hours ago
Gregory Phillip Dearth shared a profile on Facebook
2 hours ago
Gregory Phillip Dearth posted a status
"One of my backers on my kickstarter for my book has volunteered to do a full edit of the work! Going to add some polish to the work."
2 hours ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
3 hours ago
Michael Penn replied to chares martel's discussion The benefits of flushing Religion
3 hours ago
roland707 commented on Joan Denoo's blog post How Did We Become a Society Suspicious of Science?
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service