Recently a young man was persued, prosecuted and jailed because he he didn't believe in God. Why all the ruckus? He is damned by scripture, so, why does anyone care?

Tags: atheism, attitudes, belief, care, concern, heretics, nonbelief

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find it amazing how anxious some people are to help their omnipotent god out in punishing those who transgress against his law.  It's rather like the lesser bullies on the playground, siding with the BIG bully so that 1) they don't get beat up themselves and 2) they get to exercise their own tyranny.

Why does any believer give a rat's ass? The nonbeliever is destined for hell, so why even bother? Interestingly, I read an article somewhere that said people would give a rapist a second chance rather than an atheist. How stupid is that?

I think it's about power, Donald, about elevating yourself in the pecking order and the whole "I'm right and you're wrong!" game.  They get to associate themselves with power (whatever deity is in play) and act on his behalf.

I realized some time back that people who are not horribly self-possessed are far more given to such games than those who do own and understand themselves.  A great many religious adherents fit very well into that first category.

I call those types 'Special Snowflakes'

Tammy, ha ha ha!!!

I don't know about "snow," but "flake"?!?  OH YEAH!

Granola bars? What ain't fruits and nuts, is flakes??? *wink*

Hahahaha! Thanks! I needed that!

Tammy, Yes! this is a bit of refreshment on a hot day!

I am literally surrounded by the 'special' if I don't laugh at em, well... I could go to prison...

They care because the most evangelistic (conversion-minded) of the theisms are intent in creating social and political situations that facilitate their efforts to convert others. If throwing someone in jail for not believing causes others to convert to the religion out of fear, so much the better. It's all grist for the cause.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service